1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tayyip Erdogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

LOL.
    You are as bad (or is it good?) as Rac, sometimes.;)

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

His support is. In Istanbul itself he very much gets his support from working class districts - which he himself came from. To gain and hold on to power he played on exactly the same divisions in society as Trump did in the US and the Brexit vote in the UK did.
    I think that Thaksin Shinawatra was the first to try and gain power through playing to forgotten communities - unsuccessfully in the long run as the Thai Army just ousted him. Other countries that seem to have played the game since - mostly more successfully - are the Philippines and possibly Brazil.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh no... poor Tiny Tayyib.
    upload_2019-6-23_20-16-18.png

Turns out running an election a second time to get the result you want... might not always be a winner.

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

A friend of a friend is in Istanbul now. Apparently it's quite lively in the streets now...

JL48 and lanokia like this.
  5. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'd say that the Turkish people are the winners. They now have an unequivocal result unstained by accusations of cheating etc.

chelsea2 likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

And hope of a new direction / changes.

7. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It should also be noted that the revote was 3 months, not 3 years later.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Tiny Tayyib goes to war.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49956698

Trump has given the nod for Turkish military forces to engage in action across the Syrian border against kurdish forces previously allied to the USA against ISIS.

Turkey is to create a 'buffer zone' between Turkey and the Kurds
    [​IMG]

This buffer zone is to be euphemistically labelled a ''safe zone'' from terrorists.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I can't see that ending well.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Turncoat Trump.

The US says it is stepping aside for an imminent Turkish operation against Kurdish-led forces within Syria that have until now been a key US ally.

Kurdish militias played a major role in defeating the Islamic State (IS) group, but Turkey regards them as terrorists.

Syria's main Kurdish-led group called the US move a "stab in the back".

In January, President Trump threatened to "devastate Turkey economically" if it attacked Kurdish forces.

However, a White House statement issued on Sunday makes no reference to the Kurdish fighters.

The statement followed a phone call between President Donald Trump and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

US allies betrayed
    [​IMG]
    This represents a significant shift in US policy - President Trump acting against the advice of many in the Pentagon and state department.

It risks a recasting of alliances in Syria. The Kurds may be forced to seek an accommodation with the Syrian government. The potential chaos could facilitate a resurgence of IS. Indeed, the US pullback of its forces from the border area may herald the full withdrawal of troops from Syria that Mr Trump has long wanted.

It marks a betrayal of Washington's Kurdish allies, a betrayal that many other countries in the region will note with alarm.

Both the Saudis and the Israelis are coming to realise that Mr Trump's robust rhetoric is rarely matched by actions.

lanokia likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yup... I don't like foreign wars... I don't want the USA in Syria. But I don't want Turkey, Iran or Russia in there too...

And the sight of the USA seeming to abandon an ally who has served them very well [it was Kurdish ground forces who did most of the grunt work in defeating ISIS] leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. All so Tayyib can have a foreign adventure.

chelsea2 and anotherauntsally like this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Anyone would think there was a US election in the offing....

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A 'stab in the back'... where have we heard that before?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49960973

The Kurds will probably now try to reach a deal with Damascus ~ maybe autonomy within Syria ~ and Damascus will look to push Turkey out of it's territory [through diplomatic means but with Russia heft].

14. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...

My bold.
    This just has to be a reality show of some kind. This can't be real. They want to see how much the world or the USA will take.

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What you on about? Don't you know? He is the GREAT and POWERFUL OZ!

MAGAorMIGA and chelsea2 like this.
  16. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

That's exactly what flashed through my mind. Then I remembered the man behind the curtain.

lanokia and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  17. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No nation has permanent allies or permanent friends. Nations have permanent interests, that's all. And while it might be in the interest of Saudi Arabia or Israel or the Kurds to keep America bogged in the Middle East, fighting their enemies for them, how is it in America's interest?
    If you were Commander in Chief, how are you going to tell some 19 yo soldier it's in America's interest for her to lose her legs or her eyes or her life so the Kurds can have a homeland? I couldn't tell her that - and I'd be right.

19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

You forget that Turkey is an American ally too. And a British one. Turkey is also in NATO. You think Trump should risk an armed confrontation with a NATO country, one where we also have a huge air base, because we don't like it's president? That wouldn't be the stupidest thing America ever did in the ME, it would be the second stupidest.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I love the part about President Trump acting against the advice of many in the Pentagon and state department.
    These are the same people who got us into Afghanistan and Iraq and Libya, who gave us the Taliban and ISIS, and Trump doesn't want their advice? What a madman! No wonder they're conspiring to impeach him. Doesn't he know that endless wars for nothing tangible on behalf of our "friends" is the cornerstone of US foreign policy? The country has only been at war for the past 18 straight years. That's nothing! We need another half century or so of wading in blood to finish the job, right?

JL48 likes this.