1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tayyip Erdogan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Apr 4, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This video seems to be annoying the illustrious leader of Turkey for some reason:

So I thought as many people as possible should see it...

Of course Turkey is deteriorating fast... holiday bookings down 50% as Westerners wisely stay away.

And Turkish forces engage in ... well, genocide... against the Kurds in the distant south-east of the country [http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...urdish-teenagers-dream-of-becoming-guerrillas]. Oh yes, and NATO has to patrol his coastal waters because he can't get his own country to do it.

So hail the latest pathetic tinpot dictator ... because if he'd run his country even close to decent, maybe Europe would be doing a bit better.

Laphroig and FrankWolley like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I posted this on https://community.tes.com/threads/should-turkey-join-eu.734400/ but just to refresh people so they know what I think of modern Turkey [the government, not the people]

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Can't wait till Turkey's in the EU.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I wouldn't hold you breath...

Or maybe, seeing as it's you, do hold your breath! ;)

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It isn't going to be in the EU... not with Erdogan in charge.

And if it does I'll whole-heartedly join the Out campaign.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

His bodyguards supposedly beat up journalists covering his speeches while he was in America.

Maybe he and Trump can become best friends.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It can't be easy being born an anagram.

T0nyGT likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I thought that David Cameron wants them in the EU.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect he might be beginning to realise that ain't no vote winner...

Seeing Erdogan gloating on C4 news right now because of the mess he has helped fuel... turns my stomach.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Erdogan was gloating that Turkey hadn't turned back Syrian refugees but Europe had, using barbed wire to turn them back..

Jon Snow just pointed out that today's returnees were all non-Syrians... glad to know reality doesn't support Erdogan. Loathsome little troll.

11. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-Turkey-to-join-EU-despite-migrant-fears.html

Dave said to Recep
    “I’m here to make the case for Turkey's membership of the EU. And to fight for it.”
    “That’s a longstanding position of British foreign policy which I support."
    Dave said he wanted to "pave the road" for Turkey to join the EU, saying the country was "vital for our economy, vital for our security and vital for our diplomacy".
    A European Union without Turkey at its heart was “not stronger but weaker... not more secure but less... not richer but poorer”.

British Governments have always supported Turkey's application but no other major EU governments have done so with such enthusiasm as the British. The Germans and Dutch have never been keen at all and the French are at best sceptical.

lexus300 and racroesus like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This could be the iceberg that sinks SS Merkel....

(SS references a ship, just in case anyone is thinking of anything else...:D

lanokia likes this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm pretty sure that if Erdogan cleans up his act then Boehmermann may do the same

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Got this off reddit explaining what is going on

18. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Turkey is much further from EU membership now than ever before, I'd say...

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Not sure I'd have found the thing very funny but I'm very surprised that Germany isn't defending his right to free speech.

Not sure about this either. they have a pretty strong bargaining chip in the refugees.

20. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

You mean 'blackmail', not a 'case'!