1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Hairymclairy12, Sep 2, 2018.

  1. Hairymclairy12

    Hairymclairy12 New commenter


    I am looking to start tutoring in the coming months. At the moment I only want to take on a couple of students as I will be doing this alongside my full time job. I will of course be declaring my earnings and doing a tax return - if I only take on a couple of students, am I going to be stung tax wise? - I hope I will earn an extra £200 a month - but will this then effect the tax I pay on my full time job earnings.

    I hope this makes sense! I just know from taking a 'second' job in the past, sometimes it has hardly been worth it once tax has been adjusted for both jobs.
  2. alsoamum

    alsoamum New commenter

    This is from HMRC.

    Taxable income Tax rate
    Personal Allowance Up to £11,850 0%
    Basic rate £11,851 to £46,350 20%
    Higher rate £46,351 to £150,000 40%
    Additional rate over £150,000 45

    As someone who has been employed, self emoyed and a mixture of the two, if you are submitting a tax return you'll have until Jan 2020 to pay tax on any self employed earnings earned in 18/19. You'll already have paid NI through your main job and £2400 isn't enough to pay anything extra based on profits so it'll just be income tax you pay. You should register as self employed for the tuition and HMRC will send you a UTR number.

    I've also recently switched to voice union as their tutor membership includes public liability and professional liability insurances in your subs.

  3. alsoamum

    alsoamum New commenter

    So assuming the extra income doesn't tip you into the higher rate bracket, you'll be no worse off than doing overtime as a teacher.
  4. langteacher

    langteacher Occasional commenter

    Don't forget you can claim for paper, ink and all that. Heat and light allowance if you work at home .Travel allowance if not.
    Don't forget to tell your house insurance if you're working at home. You may need a different policy Not necessarily more expensive just different
  5. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    Even if the extra income tips you into the higher rate bracket, it's only the amount over that threshold you pay 40% on. So up to the threshold, for every pound you earn you keep 80p, but if you go over that, you'll only keep 60p of each £ you go over.
  6. adamcreen

    adamcreen Occasional commenter

    For just a couple of students, keep it simple. It's not a job, so no need to go self-employed. Declare it in the "additional income' box on your Self-Assessment in April/May. Pay any extra tax by debit card straight away through your Personal Tax Account online. Remember to enter any Gift AId payments into the charity section, this then lowers your 40% liability and means you may not even go into the 40% bracket at all. Happy to offer more advice - have done this way for many years.
    Jen26 likes this.
  7. Hairymclairy12

    Hairymclairy12 New commenter

    Thanks all! This has made it much clearer for me
    adamcreen likes this.

Share This Page