1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by qualiteacher, Jan 28, 2012.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All, just filling in the online tax return and getting stuck. Does anyone know how to claim residence, remittance basis online? Or does it have to be a paper copy?
    Cheers.

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

As my postcode is not a UK one (the tax office have my overseas address), I couldn't fill out any of the online form. You can do it online but have to buy software to do it as far as I'm aware (well, that's what I did). There's a list of the software you can use on their website. I used Andica self-assessment, which seemed to be the cheapest. Very easy to do once software is downloaded and activated.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It's even easier if you are "non-resident for the purposes of taxation".

4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

That's good to know! I seem to regress several decades when attempting to fill out the form. Keep checking and unchecking boxes until I find the answer I know is right!

5. the hippo

The Bulgarian equivalent of Council Tax for our six-bedroomed home in the mountains, about 60 km from Sofia, is about ten pounds per year.

6. Hippo - isn't Sunday a working day in Qatar ? Two messages on this thread today .... a light day is it ?

7. the hippo

My students all buzz off home at 1pm, but the Qatari owner of the school will not let us leave until 2.30.

8. .....similar but I am here until 3 !