1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by qualiteacher, Jan 28, 2012.

  1. qualiteacher

    qualiteacher New commenter

    Hello All, just filling in the online tax return and getting stuck. Does anyone know how to claim residence, remittance basis online? Or does it have to be a paper copy?
  2. migratingbird

    migratingbird Occasional commenter

    As my postcode is not a UK one (the tax office have my overseas address), I couldn't fill out any of the online form. You can do it online but have to buy software to do it as far as I'm aware (well, that's what I did). There's a list of the software you can use on their website. I used Andica self-assessment, which seemed to be the cheapest. Very easy to do once software is downloaded and activated.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    It's even easier if you are "non-resident for the purposes of taxation".
  4. migratingbird

    migratingbird Occasional commenter

    That's good to know! I seem to regress several decades when attempting to fill out the form. Keep checking and unchecking boxes until I find the answer I know is right!
  5. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    The Bulgarian equivalent of Council Tax for our six-bedroomed home in the mountains, about 60 km from Sofia, is about ten pounds per year.
  6. Hippo - isn't Sunday a working day in Qatar ? Two messages on this thread today .... a light day is it ?
  7. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    My students all buzz off home at 1pm, but the Qatari owner of the school will not let us leave until 2.30.
  8. .....similar but I am here until 3 !

Share This Page