1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax when Working in Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laurenzo99, Jun 17, 2011.

  1. just realised I will be here to start of Sept so likely to be in UK for approx 140 days in 2011/12 tax year
  2. I went out to Kuwait one year in Sept and HK another Sept and I didn't pay UK tax on anything (and I got a rebate before I went so remember to apply for that as your tax is worked out on you working until April so you will have overpaid). This is only my experience but I dond't know of anyone else who paid UK tax either. You could always try calling your local tax office - they have always been very helpful when I've called them. Good luck.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Dear Lauren,
    Yes, of course you can ask for some advice and lots of people who use this forum will be happy to give you their opinion about lots of things. However, you really need to talk to a qualified accountant, not to a teacher, and you need to find out the facts. Do not rely on hearsay and what someone you don't even know has said to you.
    Going back to the UK every five minutes is not always a good idea. In the UK, there are lots of nasty things like Council Tax, Income Tax, VAT, expensive petrol, cold weather and many things that I could mention. Once you are in Abu Dhabi, then you will understand what I am talking about. If you miss your family, then why can't they come out to Abu Dhabi and see you instead?
    If you are going to be in Abu Dhabi, then you simply must go to Oman (my favourite place in the Middle East and Mrs Hippopotamus loves it as well) and of course India and Sri Lanka are not far away.
    Make sure that you download SKYPE and Hotspot Shield before you leave the UK, as Etisalat made things difficult for us when we were in the UAE. (There are no problems with SKYPE here in Qatar, I am glad to say.)
    Hope this is helpful.
    The Hippo
  4. Thank you for the replies.
    If anyone has anything further to add it would be appreciated
  5. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    I have been in AD since September and only sorted out my tax status in February. I phoned HMRC directly to ask what to do. Their number is (from UK) 0845 070 0040 and found them to be very helpful. I had to fill out a form (I really cannot remember which, but they should advise), send it off and wait until the new tax year begun in April to find out what I would have to pay. Turns out I don't have to pay any. They will re-assess me next year.
    I went home for Christmas and I am due to go home in a couple of weeks for two months and then again at Christmas. Have carefully worked out the days so I am within the limit allowed.
    I thought it would be a hassle and an effort to get it sorted but was surprised with how easy the whole process was.
    Good Luck and I hope you enjoy living and working here! [​IMG]
  6. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    Forgot to mention I also received a rebate in April - HMRC sorted that at the same time as checking my tax status. [​IMG]
  7. Thanks Red Nelly!
    As far as I can see I won't have to pay tax on my AD earnings, as long as I am careful over how many days I spend in the UK (more this tax year, so limits how many I can stay in next 3 tax years)
    Even so with an average of 91 days a year, worked out over max of 4 years, it still means that even after using a fair chunk in 11/12 I can still visit the UK for around 9 weeks for the following 3 years.
    Does this sound about right?
  8. rednelly84

    rednelly84 Occasional commenter

    Do you mean 9 weeks in total over the 3 years or 9 weeks per year?
    To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't get yourself tangled up too much regarding number of days. For example, this tax year, I am staying in the UK for 10 weeks, more or less - basically, when I break up for Summer and Christmas. I haven't decided on Easter yet, which would add another 10 days or so. A lot of people I know do this and it is never an issue with the authorities.
  9. 576

    576 Established commenter

    Don't get your knickers in a twist over the no. of days you can be in the UK. The restriction is there to get money from millionaires who squirrel their money off shore and still spend lots of time in the UK.
    The tax man is not so concerned with your salary.


Share This Page