1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax when returning to the UK

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TysonCekca, Oct 22, 2019.

  1. TysonCekca

    TysonCekca New commenter


    Thinking of teaching abroad, the salary may be taxed or tax free (not sure if I should put it in a foreign account or a UK bank account), but lets say I return to the UK after teaching for a couple of years, would I have to pay tax when I return to the UK for my salary earned abroad?
  2. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    No. You do need to sort things properly while you’re away.
  3. towncryer

    towncryer Lead commenter

    At the moment no.(though Canadians and Americans do).
    Agree with Gulf Golf...do make sure you have sorted things/tied things up before you go away. Find an accountant if you have a property to let and make an arrangement to pay NI contributions voluntarily.(there might be a pittance of a pension left once you reach that age)

    Give someone power of attorney for your affairs...there is nothing more frustrating than trying to sort something out from thousands of miles away.

    Very important (and I speak from experience) if you are paying regular bills back home...do make sure that your or your power of attorney's contact details are up to date.I arrived back in the UK this summer to find I was on the verge of being taken to court by my lovely council tax officials due to the fact they had been sending the bill to the wrong address and for some reason I don't understand could/would not contact me on the email address they have.

    It's not just about the tax!
    robspillane likes this.
  4. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    IDK about Canadians but Americans would not. They have to file along the way but there is nothing extra when they go back.
  5. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I planned to teach overseas for "a couple of years", TysonCecka, and that was in 1998. Well, it is now 2019 and I am still overseas. If it is a good idea, then why limit yourself to a "couple of years"? If it is a bad idea, then why leave in the first place?
    T0nyGT likes this.
  6. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    Canadians would not have to pay tax on return. The Canadian tax system is much like the UK. The US has a very different system, but as long as they earn less than $100,000 (give or take) they also wouldn't tax.

Share This Page