1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax relief

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lcollins1982, Jul 13, 2015.

1. lcollins1982

lcollins1982 New commenter

Hello

today I received a letter telling me I could claim tax relief on my union subscription (naswut). They wanted to charge me a fee so I decided to look into this myself.

I have contacted the union and they are going to send me a statement of the fees I have paid to them, they didn't tell me how much I could claim back as a fractional amount.

I have also in the past paid into the GTC but I don't know how to prove this.

Could you give me advice tips on what to do? I haven't made a claim and I have been paying in for the last 7 years to my union and to the GTC until it ceased to exist.

Thanks

2. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

Hi

I did this a few years ago and I just sent them a letter detailing how much I had paid the union, in my case the NUT, and what I paid the GTC every year. I don't remember sending any supporting evidence if I remember correctly the GTC fee was fixed at £33a year. Even though I was refunded this by the school I worked for, I still got the tax relief They then did some calculations and send me a refund and also changed my tax code for future years. It was dead easy and quick and didn't cost em more than a first class stamp.

3. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

You make a claim for tax relief on union fees for several years (it used to be six years but you'd need to check if that changed). If you teach PE, you can also claim tax relief on cleaning costs too.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My Union (ATL) says you can claim 90% of the fees. Here is a link to their page on the subject, with instructions and sample letters. www.atl.org.uk/.../tax-relief-subscription.asp .

Don't give money to the rip-off organisations who charge you a lot for a simple job.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

You can claim for back dated tax relief on union subs for about five years. I got a nice repayment of tax and my tax code for the current financial year changed too. So many teachers don't bother claiming and they should.

Tax relief for employees

www.gov.uk/.../professional-fees-and-subscriptions

Form P87 is the one you probably need to complete.