1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax refunds/rebates, what is available?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by elrond, Oct 30, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    It's probably no surprise that the HMRC website seems a little reluctant to tell me what I can legitimately claim back as a taxable expense.

    I know that I can claim my union subs, and have just found out today that I can also claim my GTC fees.

    Like many others, I do a fair bit of work from home. Can I claim anything like a portion of my broadband bill as I use it for work? As my school has a written dress code, can I claim back some expenses for purchasing clothing for work?

    Just trying to keep my tax liability as low as possible.....
  2. tafkam

    tafkam Occasional commenter

    I don't think you can get away with claiming home broadband, etc. since presumably you could do such things in school. Similarly, unless you could demonstrate that you were required to buy clothes exclusively for the purpose of your work, you wouldn't have much success on that front either. Union and GTC is about your lot.
  3. DaisysLot

    DaisysLot Senior commenter

    Some years back I knew a colleague who did claim back the expense of his white lab coat as a science teacher....:p

Share This Page