1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax rebate all teachers and extra for those who teach PE

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gardening Leaves, Oct 13, 2011.

  1. Gardening Leaves

    Gardening Leaves New commenter

    Sure can and it's easy to do! You just find out the address of your tax office from your pay-slip and write a letter, listing all that you have paid in subscriptions over the past 6 years (7, if you include the current one). This actually includes all professional subscriptions so if, for example, you subscribe to a professional organisation like NATE (Nat Ass for Teachers of English), you can claim that back too.
    You need to go back through bank statements and check the precise amounts you have paid. You do not have to send in evidence, though you need to be prepared to do so if HMRC ask you. If PE teachers are claiming for laundering kit, etc, it's important that receipts are kept, just in case. You can only claim for the percentage difference (e.g. the extra amount of laundry, washing powder etc you use as a consequence of being a PE teacher) and not for all your laundry. However, they can claim whenever, for example, they have to buy new trainers BUT keep the receipt somewhere safe in case HMRC ask!
    'Allowable fraction' is misleading and may make people think they have to do some calculation before notifying the tax office. They don't. Just list the amount of the subscription and the tax office will calculate what is 'allowable'.
    One or both of two things will happen as a consequence: HMRC will send a nice fat cheque; they will adjust your tax code to ensure you don't pay too much tax from now on. In the future, they may start to send an Income Tax self-assessment form which essentially covers the same information you will have put in a letter. They are not difficult to fill in.
  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You actually need to contact your Union to find out what fraction of the subs is eligible for tax relief. You get 20% or 40% tax relief on 100% of the fees of some Unions but with the NUT you can only quote 2/3rds of the fees paid and with the ATL it's 9/10ths of the fees. It all depends on the type of association that they are legally. Any part of the fee that is a political levy is exempt from tax relief.
    The tax office don't keep a register of what each Union set-up is. You can get your Union to do the calculation of how much of the fee you paid each year is eligible.
    Any subject association fees are not usually allowed as the tax people would expect an employer to fund those. If you choose to subscribe yourself, that does not make it an allowable expense as you have to meet the 'wholly and exclusively' rule that the membership is just for work purposes (not your own interest) and that you cannot do your job without the membership/publication etc, which is clearly not the case.
  3. Do PE teachers wear more than 1 outfit per day then? Is that why they're entitled to claim for clothes and washing?
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    No, it's because they can't wear normal work clothes and , in effect, wear a sort of uniform. As they also need some standard work clothes and footwear (for other subjects they might teach in Secopndary or primary or for Parents' Evenings etc), they are allowed to claim the stated maximum amount in the link (£60?), thus saving them £12 or £24 per year in tax (depending on whether they are 20% or 40% taxpayers) to partly defray the extra costs.
    I agree that the thinking is not entirely logical but those who do teach PE might as well claim the allowance and get arrears for the last 6 years.
    I'm going to give it a go as I do keep a pair of trainers, sports clothes and an outdoor jacket (+ whistle) in the boot of the car for the occasions when I do PE days on supply. It doesn't have to be laundered weekly but I don't use the kit outside school as I want it ready for use in schools when the need arises. I'll feed back on what response I get from IR after writing to claim for this tax year and the last six, saying that I've just heard about it.
    I knew it could be claimed but my previous information involved holding onto clothing receipts and calculating laundry costs so I didn't bother. This flat rate claim figure is more user-friendly as no receipts are required.
  5. Leicester_Vics

    Leicester_Vics New commenter

    Does anyone know how long roughly one might have to wait to hear back from the tax office. I sent off the relevant forms and a letter a few weeks ago claiming the last 4 years of subscriptions to GTC and NASUWT but was just wondering how long a wait I could expect!?
  6. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    This is a busy time of year for the Inland revenue because those of us who file self assessment tax forms have to submit them by the end of September on the paper forms if we want them to do the calculations. I submitted mine back in July and received a reply a couple of weeks ago telling me what tax I owe on my rental property and giving me an updated tax code based on the tax relief I was claiming for this tax year.
    You can ring, of course, and double check that they have received your letter.
  7. Thanks for that Jubilee, as a primary teacher who wouldn't been seen dead in jogging bottoms outside of a 'PE day' (and who has just spent 25 quid for a pair that look a little less horrendous than usual) I may look into it! [​IMG]
  8. FSharp

    FSharp New commenter

    I was wondering if anyone knew how to go about getting this back! Do I just write to my local authority or do I have to fill in a form (if so which one)
    hannahmadison likes this.
  9. Unless you pay tax to the local authority Fairy-Nuff respectfully suggests you contact the tax office!
    Methinks some fairy dust is needed.
    Sprinkle it on your claim before you post it.

Share This Page