1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax help - urgent

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by scalesy, Jan 8, 2020.

  1. scalesy

    scalesy New commenter


    Wondering if any of you can advise on how to fill in a tax return for income from resource sales - I know I've left it late and the deadline is pretty soon. I've registered with HMRC, but assumed there would be a page of TES advice for filling in my return?

    Other questions if you could please help:
    1) is there an easy way to find the amount I've been payed from sales during the tax year? (I've switched bank so can't check back that way). On the TES sales page it only seems to let you choose things like 'past 12 months'

    2) are TES earnings classed as self employment?

    Thanks for any help!

  2. tesAuthorTeam

    tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

    Tes is unable to provide individual tax advice for purposes such as tax returns - varying individual circumstances mean that we cannot provide appropriate catch-all advice. For details about your own individual account finances please contact our customer service team at authors@tes.com.
  3. MissEHoney

    MissEHoney New commenter

    Hi John,

    Obviously i'm not a tax adviser so I can only advise you from my own experiences of doing this.

    1) Email and ask for your sales data from the 6th April 2018 to 5th April 2019. I've done that before and i've been sent an excel file. It should have all your earnings you can then =Sum for that column and that's your total for the year.
    However, this total might not be the one you need to report. I only report my income into my bank account within that tax year. So you you need to look back at old bank statements. I know you mentioned that you've switched banks so you might have to contact them to access this information.

    2) I class mine as self employment

Share This Page