1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax for International Staff

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mr.Chips, Apr 1, 2012.

1. The International teaching scene is due to change according to a leaked doucment discovered in one of the middle east governments internal memo's. As part of educational reform sweeping the region, governments are likely to start implementing tax in line with the countries where the teachers originate from. In addition consideration is also to be given for additional deductions to be made to generate extra funds for low credit rated countries. This should help some of the key European countries some way towards offsetting their debts. Teachers from Spain, Greece, Italy and UK are likely to be hit hardest one media reported today. Free accomodation is also likely to be a thing of the past as charges will be made for housing. However, staff will be allowed to set up their own professional unions and set a standard pay system. These are proposals currently at an early stage but due for putting before the next senior government meeting later this week one source confirmed.

2. The International teaching scene is due to change according to a leaked doucment discovered in one of the middle east governments internal memo's. As part of educational reform sweeping the region, governments are likely to start implementing tax in line with the countries where the teachers originate from. In addition consideration is also to be given for additional deductions to be made to generate extra funds for low credit rated countries. This should help some of the key European countries some way towards offsetting their debts. Teachers from Spain, Greece, Italy and UK are likely to be hit hardest one media reported today. Free accomodation is also likely to be a thing of the past as charges will be made for housing. However, staff will be allowed to set up their own professional unions and set a standard pay system. These are proposals currently at an early stage but due for putting before the next senior government meeting later this week one source confirmed.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Can we have a link to the source so we can properly evaluate its reliability?

4. Gulf golf I fully understand everyones concerns but we all will suffer if this goes through. This is inside information of highly confidential nature. Too dangerous to give links at this moment but all will be revealed soon.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Bored this morning, are we?
    [​IMG]

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Professional unions? Somehow I do not think that is going to happen in any of the Gulf countries.

7. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Mr. Chips, have you worked in the Middle East? I agree with GG, I would really appreciate some links to any information validating this. Rumours run far and fast in the ME, particularly regarding expats. The sheer logistics of implementing this in Dubai alone would cause anyone to pause and re-evaluate; now remember this is only one city in one country in what you have grouped as a homogenous region of the world. The issue of unions is a non-starter. More details to support this would definitely be interesting though.

MoC

8. My source reveals that it is indeed the UAE where this issue is causing raised eye brows amongst its ministers but as the education reform in place I suspect that as soon as one country signs up the deal with the money hungry european nations the rest will follow. Another Spring revolution beckons I fear for many.

9. What was the date of this (FOOLish) post.

10. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

haha....excellent, definitely took the bait on that one!

11. I wonder how many, currently in the Middle East, spat out their breakfast cornies over that one?

12. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Don't you just love an antipodean turn of phrase [​IMG]

13. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

[​IMG] didn't fall for it!

14. I deliberately added 'breakfast' as I wasn't sure if 'cornies' would be understood by itself by those hailing from the wrong half of the world.

15. Was hoping this would indeed create a stir but hardened practitioners are rarely surprised by anything it seems. One day just one day someone may wake up and smell the roses and realise. I'll be sat comfy in my rocking chair then hopefully.