1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax detail

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ihockin, Apr 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ihockin

ihockin New commenter

Hi all, I have got a new job starting in September and am not sure of which tax statement to put in. I will continue working at my current school until the end of August.
    Can anyone help with which statement I should tick?

a) This is my first job since 6th April.
    b) This is my only job, but since last 6 April I have had another job
    c) I have another job,

I don't want to tick the wrong one and be over taxed in September. Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

B then they will transfer your tax code to that post. If you get a P45 then they will need that forwarded. C is if you are continuing with another job at the same time.

cornflake and Piranha like this.
  3. ihockin

ihockin New commenter

Thank you so much for your help!

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

As said above, b) is clearly correct, assuming that you don't have another job. If your pay is similar between the two jobs, it is likely that your tax will be fairly accurate from the start, as your personal allowance will have been divided by 12 for every month. Once your P45 has been taken account of, it should be completely accurate.

5. ihockin

ihockin New commenter

So helpful! Thank you.