1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax Credits!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by KBoulton, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Im just wondering if there is anyone else out there who works part time and claims tax credits? Im a lone parent and teach 3 days a week and pay for before and after school care for my son. I earn too much (!) to qualify for the working tax credit element but I do get some for the child care element. I am on UPS3 and my tax credits have dropped by over £100 a month over the last 12 months. I recently rang and queried my payments after talking to non teacher friends of mine who are married with twice the income and pay no childcare but are getting more than me a month. I was told this is probably because they work 30+ hours a week.
    This is my query- as I work 3 days a week, my payslip says I work 18 hours which as all teachers know, is laughable!! Ive normally done 18 hours by Tuesday lunchtime and wouldn't need to pay childcare if those were the only hours I did. Im just wondering how many hours other part time teachers put on their forms?

2. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I would just ring the tax credit office and talk to them. I have always found them to be incredibly helpful.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'm on maternity leave with my 2nd child (my eldest is 2) and we get £45 a month tax credits, despite me being on leave April-April.
    I went back on 0.5 after maternity leave with my son and we got nothing at all towards childcare, and our tax credits were completely stopped until i told them i'd had another baby and was on leave again.
    I had to put i work 16 hours a week on my form, even though like you i obviously do more than that.
    I'm hoping when i go back to work and we're paying childcare for 2 we'll get a little more help, especially as mine will be in childcare all day.
    I'm not a single parent, but even so paying childcare for 2 is a fair bit!