1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tax credits

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by useless, Mar 15, 2011.

1. useless

useless New commenter

Can a Supply Teacher get Tax Credits?

2. you pay tax, so I would guess at yes. are you wondering where you would stand on the unknown hours side of things?

3. You can get Tax Credits. When I have phoned the Tax Credit people I have explained how the hours with supply teaching vary. You need to work for 16 hours per week, but I was told I could average my months hours, so it "added up" to 16 a week. You can also receive the Child Tax Credit if you have a child, plus 80% contribution to child care. You have to keep them informed of the amount you earn, otherwise you could end up being overpaid, and then faced with the repayments.

4. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

We are going to have such fun with tax credits this year! My other half is self employed (building trade) and I am supply teaching. We've got 4 kids. Last May I had to tell them what our joint income would be for Apr 2010 to Apr 2011. I tried explaining to them that I couldn't. What I could do was tell them last year's income and guess it would be around the same, but I might be way out. I still have no idea. He's sent bills out to customers who haven't paid - does that count as income even though we haven't had it, because it was work done in this tax year? I had loads of supply Christmas term so told them I would earn more than I'd thought. They cut our money. I've now had 1 day this term and we are eating baked beans out the tin (to save on gas cooker, lol). Lovely system. Works really well when you have to guess a year in advance what 2 self employed folks might or might not earn!