1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax credits-v confused!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ladymarm, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Hello ladies,
    I'm 14 weeks pregnant this week and although still a bit paranoid about 'planning' too far ahead, i have dared to take a deep breath and think about finances (we really must!).
    I am v confused about tax credits despite having tried the direct.gov calculator thingy. because the dates are all theoretical as is exact salaries I am getting in a tangle.
    Basically what I am trying to understand is after 9 months mat leave (I'd like to try to take a year finances permitting) I believe I will have no income at all as SMP will end? At that point do we become eligible for tax credits if our income is low enough? Or are you only eligible once you are back 'working'? I know we should get Child benefit but obviously that won't go far in those last 3 months...
    Thank you for reading!

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I went back after 9 months, and even based on the salary for that tax year (I was on M4, husband earned very slightly less) I got child tax credits for about £86 a month. Once he turned one it dropped to £35 a month. I work 0.5 (now on M6) and we get no working tax credits at all.

3. Thanks Chica. Do you mean that you got child tax credits AFTER you were back at work?
    It is very confusing and trying to figure out if i can stay off for those extra3 months!
    Cheers.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I can't remember when I applied, but it was before I went back to work. You need to have your child benefit reference number before you can apply for tax credits. They give you the details for it in the bounty pack in hospital.
    It is quite confusing! They don't really give you details of tax credits - think they hope you won't apply!

5. Ah ha! Well i have foiled their plan already! Thank s for the advice.
    Now im going to sound like a plonker but is the bounty pack that spotty thing everyone seems to have when i go to appts- except me??? Should i have one too?

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

The spotty thing is a bounty pack, but when you're in hospital after having your baby the bounty woman comes round and takes your details and gives you a pack with things like a nappy in it and little samples of stuff, and the forms for child benefit. You get loads of people coming in trying to sell you stuff too - baby footprints, photos etc etc!

7. The bounty pack is the white plastic folder (with spots). I got mine at 12 wk scan. Got lots of advertising in it and some free samples etc but also some useful info like the NHS pregnancy book which I found quite useful

8. i don't have it- feel cheated already!

9. as far as i'm aware it's based on your annual household income, and it doesn't change monthly according to whether or not you're getting maternity pay...

10. Oh thank you spiderkin. Do you think annual income is April -March?

11. I did mine about a month ago and it is based on your yearly household income, that is what you were earning before mat leave - it doesn't take that drop in income into consideration at all.

12. If you pop into your local doctor's surgery, they will probably give you one. They asked me to go and collect one this week before my 6 week midwife app on Thurs. There are some useful forms to fill in. Have a chat with them anyway - good luck!

13. Yes, they definitely are.