1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tax credits-childcare help and part time teaching?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by marymoocow, Jul 11, 2011.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I declared at least half an hour either side each day if not more. We dont get anything now due to the changes.

2. I do the calculation based on a 'normal' working week (and am on 0.44 too).
    If you do 0.44 of a 37.5 hour week (what my husband is contracted to do) then you come out with 16.5 hours.
    A while back this same question was raised, and a helpful poster referred to a government investigation into teachers working hours - the government concluded it was 50 hours a week. No idea what the report was called, someone else might be able to help me out. Anyway, on that basis you are well over the 16 hours you needed.
    Incidentally, if your husband has a job paying a similar salary to a full time teacher, then don't get too hopeful about the childcare element of tax credits.
    If you don't get the childcare element, then it would be worthwhile taking childcare vouchers (salary sacrifice) through one or both of your employers.

3. thank you!
    i will do bits of supply too at the same school.
    my partners wage is very low.
    Do i have to tell work that i am declaring 16 hours?