1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax confusion

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teachsci1, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am thinking of applying for jobs in Qatar, for which I will receive a tax free salary.
    I am only planning on accepting a one year contract and will probably return back to the UK after that, meaning I will be abroad between August and July.
    I am confused as to whether I would have to pay tax when returning to the UK because the contract will span two tax years so will not spend a full tax year out of the UK.
    I understand that I will be considered a UK resident if I am in the UK for 183 days or more... So the first tax year that I am abroad I will not have spent that long in the UK but the second one (April to July - end of contract) I will spend more that the 183days in the UK. Does this mean I will have to pay tax on this part of my salary???
    Very confused...

2. I know many out of the UK who never declare their overseas earnings? If you really want to pay the tax and keep matters above board, I can only suggest you contact your local Inland Revenue Office and they will confirm 100%.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

Most international jobs offer a 2 year contract - not one.
    But if you want an accurate up to date answer on UK tax law ring HMRC.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It used to be the case that, in order to be exempt from UK taxation, you had to fill out a form and ask to be classed as "non-resident for taxation purposes". Being away from the UK for less than a year will not make you "non-resident" and therefore you will have to pay tax on your overseas earnings. However, you might like to contact HMRC and check with them.
    As 576 has noted, most international schools only offer two year contracts and this business of a one year contract sounds rather dodgy to me. There are plenty of very dodgy schools in Qatar!