1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax code

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Apr 3, 2018.

  1. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    Which tax code are other supply teachers on? When I first started I was on BR ( basic rate), then it got changed to what I was on during my teaching contract, once I submitted the P45.

    Now the new tax year has begun, I find I am on basic rate again, being taxed too high. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the correct rate for casual work like this?
  2. Melj16

    Melj16 New commenter

    Are you working through one agency or more than one?
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lucilla90

    Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

    I am signed up with more than one, but I have worked pretty much full time for the one agency. They are my primary employer and had my P45. Recently, I was given just one session by one of the other agencies. That session was paid and taxed on BR as a second job.

    However, since new tax year, my main agency has also gone back to BR.
  4. lynneseptember

    lynneseptember Senior commenter

    I would suggest that you ring HMRC and explain what you have just said here to them. I found them very helpful when I rang and explained that I thought they had taken more tax than usual. They checked there and then and sorted it out for me.
  5. stunica

    stunica New commenter

    This happens all the time and you do need to sort it out direct with HMRC before the excess mounts up too much.
  6. bounceback

    bounceback Occasional commenter

    My tax codes were all over the place when I changed agencies in September. I rang them once I knew which agency was getting me the most work and they changed that to the code with the allowance. My other agency is BR. I had paid a bit too much initially and it was refunded in my next pay. HMRC do sort the codes fairly quickly. (The phone lines do tend to be busy with quite long waits at times).
  7. historygrump

    historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

    I would contact the HMRC asap and also set your tax allowance (£11850 this year) against your agencies, you can set for example, the amount allocated to an agency is up to you and would reduce the tax you pay on your wages.
    Agency A - £7000
    Agency B - £3000
    Agency C - £1850

    You can change the figures anytime in the futue, if for example you leave an agency you can allocate the allowance to another agency.
  8. 50sman

    50sman Lead commenter

    When you ring up you will be askEd at some time in the call if you want to step up voice recognition - if you are say yes and it will save you time on future calls to HMRC - there will be many as your circumstances change. remember HMRC want to make sure you are paying the right a,punt of tax - this will probably mean lots,of phone calls and lots of tX codes - I have had four so far for the new tax year and it hasn’t started yet!

Share This Page