1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

tax back on union fees

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mad dog, Jun 16, 2011.

  1. Mad dog

    Mad dog New commenter

    Apparently you can claim tax back on union subs paid - anyone done it - and how do you do it?
  2. Gardening Leaves

    Gardening Leaves New commenter

    Yep! It's easy.
    You are entitled to claim tax relief on all 'professional subscriptions', not only union subs and you can go back 7 tax years, counting the last full tax year Apr 2010 - Apr 2011as the first one. This means you can also claim against your GTC subs and any subscriptions you take out for things like professional magazines or membership to professional organisations directly relevant to your job.
    You just write to your tax office (details on pay slip) explaining that you have just discovered that you can claim back and specifying precisely how much you have paid in subs in each year. You will need to go back through bank statements to calculate the amount. It's important to get this right as they MAY ask you for proof although it's very unlikely that they will.
    While you are at it, make sure they know that you will continue to pay subs at whatever the current rate is for the foreseeable future and ensure they adjust your tax code for this year to take this into account.
    Enjoy cheque when it arrives! :)
  3. Waterfin

    Waterfin New commenter

    My colleague at work went through a company to help with this. They deemed the £40 admin fee acceptable. The website provided the forms, records of the amounts that were charged by different unions over the last 6 years (if in the NUT I believe their subsidies are structured differently and you have to contact them for advice) and processed everything quickly.
    After the admin fee, they received the refund of about £170.
    I would be interested to hear of anyone who has been able to sort this out easily and successfully by directly contacting the tax office as I have been online to look for forms etc and have not found anything useful. My forms for the rebate company are all filled in, but if I can save myself the £40 fee than I may be tempted!


    ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

    I think there's guidance on the union websites - worth a look!
  5. sleepyhead

    sleepyhead New commenter

    £40!! £40!!
    Here's my £39.99 version:
    Make sure you list every year individually, with the correct numbers.
    For an additional £39.99, I can tell you if you might be able to get a council tax rebate, as well.

  6. kibosh

    kibosh Star commenter

    A month ago, I did this very thing. Do NOT go to one of the companies that offer to do this for you. Maybe it's different in Scotland but the GTCS was not on the list of recognised professional organisations when I phoned the IR to check. Nomad is correct, you will need to provide the IR with
    • P45s or P46s for all the years you are back claiming for (I was informed by the IR that it's 6 years)
    • Your work history including the local authorities (subs vary marginally from LA to LA)
    • NI number and official confirmation from the organisations themselves as to what their rates are/were for the time period in question

Share This Page