1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tax and that

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon3407, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Hello all I have a quick question.

I'm due to start supply two days a week in a secondary school and was going to get the agency who found me the job to fill in my P45 so I get taxed the correct amount.

However, I am also signed up to other agencies and don't want to get taxed too much/get in trouble if I end up doing work for them too.

What should I do about this?

Thanks. :)

2. Hello all I have a quick question.

I'm due to start supply two days a week in a secondary school and was going to get the agency who found me the job to fill in my P45 so I get taxed the correct amount.

However, I am also signed up to other agencies and don't want to get taxed too much/get in trouble if I end up doing work for them too.

What should I do about this?

Thanks. :)

3. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I work for an umbrella company, you get paid by them and can work for as many agencies as you like - the umbrella company deals with all the payments centrally, and handles your P45, tax etc. I know that some people are against umbrella companies, so guess it's up to you, but I have never had any problems

4. OK, I'm due to make a 'rapid reclaim' at the job centre (as I'm only going to be working a few hours a week at the moment and have previously tried to get job seekers) and am due to get a P45 from them. When I get that should I just pass that onto the agency I work for and then they'll send it to Revenue and Customs?

Would that sort my tax out?

5. I also phoned the umbrella company to ask and they said to ring HMRC to discuss it with them.

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You don't need to be with an umbrella company to have several employers.
    It's not a P45 that you fill in with a new employer but a P46, where you state whether or not this is your first work.earnings of the tax year.
    Have you workded for your other agencies since April 2011? If so, you probably have your tax code (your tax free allowance) with one of them.
    You then pay BR (20%) tax with other employers.You can split your tax code with everal employers and earn the first £2 or £3k per year from each employer tax free.
    At the end of the tax year, when you get your various P60s, detailing gross pay and tax paid up to the 5th April 2012, you can contact the tax office and will get tax back if you have overpaid by not using up your tax code portion with one or more employers.
    You can give your Jobcentre P45 to your main employer or one of the employers using part of your tax code, but that will entail them in possibly charging you tax on the JSA money (which you would otherwise pay at the end of the tax year anyway as it is potentially taxable).
    If you use up your £7475 tax free allowance across all your employers, any JSA received becomes subject to 20% tax and is sorted when you get an Inland revenue assessment each year. But, if you didn't use all of a split tax code with one employer, the tax owed onJSA would be partly or wholly cancelled out by the the value of the unused tax allowance.
    I've tried a split tax code and found it better to have the entire tax code with what I considered my main employer. If you leave that employer, give the P45

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

... give the P45 that they send you to your next biggest employer and that will regularise your tax position.