1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taught in another year group

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SayItLikeItIs, Feb 11, 2019.

1. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

Is there a consensus in primary schools these days as to whether children should be taken out of their year group in order to meet their current learning needs?

My Reception son is being sent to a Year 1 phonics and reading for approximately 20 minutes each day. This is because the school is using a well-known phonics intervention programme, and has grouped all children from Nursery to Year 2 according to the assessment rubric. Although academically the group is probably right for him, he doesn't like being a small younger child among such older, bigger children. (I don't think any struggling children from Year 1 are being sent to Reception.)

Intuitively, I feel this situation isn't right, but I wonder whether there is any recent research to back this up, or whether we should just suck it up.

Biased parent though I am, my child is very able in some aspects of his learning. However, his class teacher provides well for him in other areas of the curriculum, and has no need to send him to a class above his age range then.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You could just talk to the teacher and explain that he's not really very happy, and that although you realise the phonics work in that group would be more appropriate for him, you'd be quite happy for him to remain with his peer group (provided, of course, that he isn't disruptive there).
    My daughter was a fluent reader when she started school. I remember saying to my her teacher, who'd given her some writing target, "I know her writing is way behind her reading, but that's because she's only four, and I'm really not worried"; the teacher expressed relief to hear me say that - I think sometimes teachers feel obliged to show that they're stretching the abler ones, and perhaps assume their parents will be "pushy".

One occasion, I was helping in my daughter's reception class. They were doing some phonics work before starting various activities, but the teacher decided that the three(!) of them who were fluent readers could come and start doing the activity I was helping with while the rest did the phonics. Whilst this made perfect sense, my daughter clearly felt she was missing out on the phonics, and would have been happier staying on the carpet. She never read any Biff/Chip/Kipper, and I think she felt she missed out on that, too!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

In my last school all of ks1 were mixed for phonics according to where they were on RWI.

4. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

Thanks, Wotton. My school have taken on RWI this academic year.

I'd be interested to know how, in your experience, RWI benefited very able children (able to decode, able to read all sight words, above vocabulary & excellent comprehension, with high levels of curiosity, copes well with challenges)? I just don't think that this is better than what the school provided before, for my child. All the feedback about RWI that I have been able to see online is about how it improved the statistics for their school, not how it benefited specific individuals. From a similar scheme my last school used when I taught in school, I do know that it does not particularly help highly dyslexic students with co-occuring difficulties (although it may have helped more milder cases). And I can't see how it is setting an appropriate level of challenge for very able children.

In fact, we have been told that, in order to progress to the next level, all children must be reading their books with 100% accuracy, which is against all I have been taught, even during my dyslexia training, which recommends 90% accuracy. The children should of course have developed strategies to attempt the other 10% of words that they don't get straight away. Where is the challenge in that?

Any light you could shed on this would be very much appreciated.

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

@SayItLikeItIs All of ours who passed the Y1 phonics screening did not do the phonics but moved onto spelling. This was Y2 children usually the most able but not all.We found that RWI had a positive impact on the children and improved reading decoding for some.
    As I worked with the non phonics group I can't comment on how the children felt in the actual lessons but the groups were pretty fluid and children were tested and moved on in relation to their ability .
    I do know that as children were added to my group they may have passed the phonics screener but their vocabulary and language use was still poor, this was other Y2 children.
    To be honest if your child is reading widely I wouldn't worry just give them lots of experience of reading at home.
    Any child with additional needs should be receiving additional support that is addressing their needs.
    sorry can't be of more help. RWI was new to the school when I started and I was in KS2 first of all.