1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tattoos on teachers: The arguments for and against.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by missmaths1990, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hello everybody,
    I am new to this and have been reading through this forum for most of the day and decided I would like to post something of my own and see the kind of responses I receive.

Basically I am 21 years old and currently in my final year of a maths degree. In September I will be starting a PGCE course in secondary mathematics.

I have already had plenty of experience, I had paid work as a maths mentor in a university on a foundation degree, a paid placement in a high achieving school and volunteer at an almost special measures school at the moment. This is without mentioning the primary experience and others I have also had.

I have 5 tattoos, none are particularly large and all mean something to me. I am soon to get number 6 and have been researching peoples opinions on tattoos on teachers. Some have argued for, some have argued against and some have been downright rude. An example of this is somewhere along the lines of "tattoos make people look a bit thick".

It is now 2012 and I would believe that the majority of the western culture above the legal age has at least one tattoo, they may regret it, they may love it that is down to personal opinion. I do not understand why there are such negative connotations toward those with tattoos.

I would like to know why parents feel tattoos set a bad example for their children (only talking about secondary school here as I can see it in a primary school as children are more easily influenced, but still) yes okay we as teachers do not wish to set bad examples, but unless the tattoo is offensive I do not see the issue. Some parents have likened tattoos to smoking and as such are a no tattoo and no smoking household, my household was always a no smoking household but I did smoke at one point during my schooling, if children want to do something they will do it no matter what they have been bought up to believe.

I guess my question is, what are your opinions and why?

2. Hello everybody,
    I am new to this and have been reading through this forum for most of the day and decided I would like to post something of my own and see the kind of responses I receive.

Basically I am 21 years old and currently in my final year of a maths degree. In September I will be starting a PGCE course in secondary mathematics.

I have already had plenty of experience, I had paid work as a maths mentor in a university on a foundation degree, a paid placement in a high achieving school and volunteer at an almost special measures school at the moment. This is without mentioning the primary experience and others I have also had.

I have 5 tattoos, none are particularly large and all mean something to me. I am soon to get number 6 and have been researching peoples opinions on tattoos on teachers. Some have argued for, some have argued against and some have been downright rude. An example of this is somewhere along the lines of "tattoos make people look a bit thick".

It is now 2012 and I would believe that the majority of the western culture above the legal age has at least one tattoo, they may regret it, they may love it that is down to personal opinion. I do not understand why there are such negative connotations toward those with tattoos.

I would like to know why parents feel tattoos set a bad example for their children (only talking about secondary school here as I can see it in a primary school as children are more easily influenced, but still) yes okay we as teachers do not wish to set bad examples, but unless the tattoo is offensive I do not see the issue. Some parents have likened tattoos to smoking and as such are a no tattoo and no smoking household, my household was always a no smoking household but I did smoke at one point during my schooling, if children want to do something they will do it no matter what they have been bought up to believe.

I guess my question is, what are your opinions and why?

3. Hi, I am also about to start a PGDE in August and have 2 tatoos, only one of which is visable (its on my wrist, the other is on my back and you cant see it unless I have no clothes on). I was worried about the tatoo on my wrist being seen my kids in schools but no one mentioned it, including teachers. My husband who is also doing the PGDE has several larger tatoos on his arms and shoulders but again no one said anything to him. He covers the most obvious one up with a sweat band (he's a pe teacher). He asked other teachers in school and they said it didnt matter but one said he would cover up one if he had it, but really there are no problems at all. Its all about how professional you come accross and if someone doesnt take you professionally because of tour tatoos then thats their problem. I can see why though you have some reservations but if a child asks, you can explain that if you get one, you should really think through it etc, so maybe it would be a worthy education for them. See what other more experienced teachers tell you though. Hope that helps.

4. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Think again - they don't.

5. I think the response to tattoos on teachers is less to do with how it may influence the students, and more about the professional image it conveys (or not). We had a PGCE student who not only had tattoos, and added to them on a regular basis, but had no compunction about displaying them during the summer, with strappy tops and very short skirt. It did not look very professional at all, even to the students.

6. I think it depends on the school, to some extent. Having spent 9 years at a place where it seems a majority of pupils in y10 and above ? yes, I know ? had tattoos, the fact the staff had them and they showed when wearing summer clothes became irrelevant.

7. loopyfrog

loopyfrog New commenter

"It is now 2012 and I would believe that the majority of the western culture above the legal age has at least one tattoo" um, no, I'm sure they don't.

I don't personally like tattoos at all, but being a teacher has nothing to do with that. Teachers can have lives too, whether they want to get drunk, smoke, gamble, inject indelible ink into their skin or whatever, it's their choice IMO.

8. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

It can depend on the tattoo - some do look plain ugly.
    But ultimately, it's a person's body...they should be able to do what they want to it. You just have to take other people's prejudices as par for the course.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You are young and <u>some </u>tattoos look fine on young people. However, they never ever llok good in later life imo. You would need to bear in mind that visible, large or otherwise obtrusive tattos, may be viewed as appearing unprofessional to the people you are hoping will ultimately employ you.