1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

taster in engineering to school children - year 9 10 11

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by welder, Feb 15, 2011.

1. welder

welder New commenter

2. Any chance I could have some info on this too? I teach Btec Engineering and am happy to share some of what i've got. Thanks, Julian - julian.james@virgin.net

3. Hi All
    Sorry to highjack the thread, any ideas on some projects for the BTEC engineering.?
    Maybe that run for a term or certainly 3 weeks or so...?
    I'm teaching it at the moment. Luckily its to a small group so i can experiment a bit. I'm running out of ideas for projects to keep them engaged.?

Many Thanks

Matt

4. re

re New commenter

I make them research classic mechanisms - crank/slider, quick return, reverse motion etc. then replicate them in wood on a thick card backing. Makes great display material and keeps them busy. I have one group of high flyers making a wooden 4 cylinder engine at the moment, complete with camshaft and pistons.
    Different sizes of wood strip - 10mm square, 25mm x 5 mm etc all available from technology teaching systems.

5. Thanks for the reply..

sounds good... will look into that

cheers