1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Taste or Health

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Feb 5, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

When you shop for food and when you cook it, how do you balance the healthy aspects of the food with the enjoyment of eating it?
    I have to confess, hedonist that I am, I tend to err on the side of enjoyment, but then neither has mrs modelmaker or myself any weight issues or other ailments at the moment. We don't eat massive amounts of food anyway.
    I do vary our diet as far as possible for health reasons though, on the basis that if something nasty is being used in the production of the ingredients, we'll not ingest quite as much of it as we would if we ate it all the time.
    I think it's actually health-giving if you really enjoy the food you eat.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

When you shop for food and when you cook it, how do you balance the healthy aspects of the food with the enjoyment of eating it?
    I have to confess, hedonist that I am, I tend to err on the side of enjoyment, but then neither has mrs modelmaker or myself any weight issues or other ailments at the moment. We don't eat massive amounts of food anyway.
    I do vary our diet as far as possible for health reasons though, on the basis that if something nasty is being used in the production of the ingredients, we'll not ingest quite as much of it as we would if we ate it all the time.
    I think it's actually health-giving if you really enjoy the food you eat.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Enjoyment. We bulk out on healthy foods, especially during the week, but we enjoy those too, or we wouldn't eat them. I enjoy a bowl of porridge and I enjoy a salad. I also enjoy stuffing myself so full of fruit that I can't move. As I also enjoy slabs of cheese, red meat, cooked breakfasts, foie gras, bone marrow, chips cooked in dripping, sausages, creamy gratins and food that's swimming in butter. But moderation is key, and amounts are paramount. Life's too short to deny yourself pleasures, but a good balance makes sense. I don't believe there's such a thing as unhealthy foods anyway, just unhealthy diets.
    I often think that people who obsessively eat for health reasons probably don't like food very much.
    I only eat sensible amounts of the less 'healthy' food because I don't want to get too fat. I'm going to be a dad soon, and I don't want to be a fat dad! I'm not actually convinced of the link between saturated animal fats and bad health anyway. I'd be far more worried about sugar and refined carbohydrates than animal fats and I'm pretty sure it's these that are maing the nation obese and ill rather than cholesterol.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I definitely eat for enjoyment. In fact I need to cut down but I would rather have less of something lovely and bad for me than more of something healthy. I love butter but as a compromise I only have it on toast and crumpets but put no butter or marg on sandwiches.
    I think nick is right about there being more of a problem in our diets with sugar and refined carbs. The French diet contains a lot more fat than ours but they have less problems with obesity and cholesteral.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I really like to enjoy the food I eat!
    On the other hand I am careful to eat a mostly healthy diet.
    If 90% of the time I eat hea;thily, then there is no harm/shame in allowing myself a little indulgence - like last weeks fish supper, or the occasional creamy custard tart.
    I do have weight issues - to put it mildly! To be brutally honest I am obese. But I am dealing with this.
    As I have stated elsewhere, my general health is more than good. My blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol figures are all well within 'normal' - I put a lot of this down to my healthy eating...plus a small measure of genetics and a smattering of good luck.
    Some foods are labelled in such a way as to be downright confusing. I remember seeing a small packet of apple-pieces. No sugar added, just slices of apple and I think an anti-oxidant. The pack had a 'traffic-light' label - and showed amber for suger...but 100% of the sugar was 'naturally occuring' in the apple! How can a nice crisp juicy apple be counted as anything but a healthy option? Wht confuse people giving a 'sugar warning'? (I could ask why anyone needs to buy a ready-sliced apple, but I'll leave that for now!)
    I make a conscious choice to buy butter. Some may point out that it is a high-fat option. But I prefer it to those chemical concoctions that are dyed bright yellow, smell of nothing and have a blah sort of taste. If I have spent some time baking a small loaf of bread with no additives but a whole lot of love baked into it, then that first, warm slice is going to have nothing but the best on it...and that means real butter and homemade gooseberry jam!
    I generally use the semi-skimmed milk. I have tried skimmed milk, but for my nightime milk drink it tastes like warm water. Semi-skimmed at least tastes of milk!
    For snacks, I have my indulgence....I get a Graze box delivered each week. Every Tuesday I get 4 liitle packs of 'healthy' snacks - dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and sometimes choc-chips. Again, not a zero-cal or zero-fat option, but they contain vitamins and minerals missing in a lo-cal-chocolate-flavoured-chewie-snack-bar.
    If I'm honest if you offered me a diet of Breakfast - Fried bacon and egg sarnie; Mid Morning - Frothy coffee and muffin; Lunch-Roast Dinner with extra Yorkshires followed by suet pud and custard; Afternoon Tea- scones and cream; Dinner- Curry with rice, fried plaintain, yam and peshwari naan followed by steamed dumplings and custard; Bedtime hot milk and buttered rich tea biscuits.....I would possibly jump at it - and last less than one day! I love all the foods I mentioned, but couldn't face themm all at once!
    My healthy diet is something I am happy to stick to - and becuase the treats are just that a <u>treat</u> it makes them all the more delicious!

6. Healthy AND enjoyable.
    Plus a few naughty treats.[​IMG]

7. There are lots of healthy meals that taste good too. Also eat everything in moderation is a good rule.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

To borrow from Julia Child, I'd rather have one mouthful of something wonderful than a whole bowl of something bland and blah.
    However, I do believe it's eminently possible to eat delicious food that is also healthy. Most of the time I think we manage to achieve this (I hope!).

9. It is - healthy food can be very yummy.