1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tasks for Disengaged Pupils

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hamjam, Mar 6, 2017.

1. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Hello,

I have an interview for the role of Inclusion Mentor and have been given the task of undertaking a 15-20 minute mentoring task (KS3 but not clear what year but will find out) with 3 disengaged students who are under performing and disruptive in lessons but at a low level. I have one or two ideas of my own (tower building with marshmallow and spaghetti) but wanted to ask if anyone might have some suggestions please which would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What do you want them to learn from the session?
    they may well be excellent work working together (to disrupt lessons) already and so teamwork skills not really needed.
    think what the point of such a session will be and do something to work towards that.

3. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

Thanks. I've not been given any information so it's hard to tell where to pitch it but will call the school.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you may need to decide some of these things yourself.
    If you are successful, this is the kind of session you will be running and you'll need to make decisions about what you want children to achieve with you.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that your brief is pretty non specific and as usual the devil is in the detail so knowledge of the individuals involved is key if this is to be a valid task. For that reason I suspect they want to observe how you engage with the students, how you are able to redirect the session when / if things go off piste. I think they would expect you to 'model' good social skills too. Often these students are thinking ' WIIFM ' - what's in it for me ? ' so you have to ensure that there is indeed something in it for them ? Relationships and trust are built over time of course. The observers I assume will want to see if you have the potential to develop these ?

6. bkingsnorth

bkingsnorth New commenter

Enterprise projects could work with them.

7. gazzmus

gazzmus New commenter

Sharpening pencils?

Make it a race, then add in a bit of maths to the mix.

Or bring in a 30KG bag of new potatoes and have them put them in weight order.

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Just let them sit there playing with their phones. That will keep them happy.
    If you are required to show learning during your session just get them to google things - the latest news, meanings of words, the off side rule, whatever interests them. Then have a class discussion about their learning.
    Every inclusion mentor I have ever met does absolutely nothing, expects absolutely nothing and then says is a soppy voice 'oooh, they have worked hard today, oohhh, well done everybody, you've done really well.' Don't forget the soppy voice and you are bound to get the job.