1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

task for technician on interview

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by zglw, Jun 8, 2011.

1. We did this last year and it gave far more away than an interview. I asked them to design and make a stand for a small glue gun. A good design will take in the H and S requirements and will show basic problem solving skills and well as manufacturing skills - think this is what you were asking lol

2. One of 3 tasks I gave candidates was to screw a piece of 6mm MDF onto a piece of 50mm square wood. Simple (to us), needless to say the candidate that needed help didn't get the job! Appointed the guy that used 6 screws. Overkill, but he can use a screwdriver.

3. Thanks for both of the suggestions, I have until next tues to dream up as many as poss.
    cheers,

4. A soldering iron stand, similar to the glue gun stand already mentioned, 30 minutes for the task. Also got them to rewire a damaged soldering iron. You learn a lot from watching.

5. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Ask them whether they know or are aware of child safeguarding issues, then ask them how they would safeguard themselves.

6. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Youre all barking up the wrong tree!
    give the candidates a kettle, tea bags, milk and some cups...
    Quickest to brew up wins!