1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Task at interview?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vanadesse, May 13, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've been invited for an interview at a school tomorrow. Strangely, there's no lesson observation, just the interview. They've said that when I arrive, I'll be given the first question and given some time to answer it before being called in to the interview. Does this mean that there's likely to be some kind of task to do? If so, any ideas of what kind of thing it could be? Only thing I've thought of is if they ask me to level some work. If they give me the level descriptors then I can do this quite well but if they don't, I've got no chance! I'm only just about to qualify so haven't levelled enough work to do it without the descriptors yet. Any thoughts and advice would be great, thanks.

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've been invited for an interview at a school tomorrow. Strangely, there's no lesson observation, just the interview. They've said that when I arrive, I'll be given the first question and given some time to answer it before being called in to the interview. Does this mean that there's likely to be some kind of task to do? If so, any ideas of what kind of thing it could be? Only thing I've thought of is if they ask me to level some work. If they give me the level descriptors then I can do this quite well but if they don't, I've got no chance! I'm only just about to qualify so haven't levelled enough work to do it without the descriptors yet. Any thoughts and advice would be great, thanks.

3. Maybe a planning task? Plan a lesson on a particular topic, or a whole topic on a theme? Although levelling does sound quite possible... How scary! But if you're right for the school, and it's right for you, you'll shine through. Let us know what happens! Good luck x

4. I was asked to level work without any level descriptors, luckily I had copies of APP in my case so used them. Also had to sit at a computer in the school office and email the head about why I should get the job and what made me stand out from the other candidates. Knew at that point that it was NOT the place for me.
    Good luck tomorrow, just remember the other candidates will be in the dark as much as you are, just do your best.

5. I know it's hard jumping through all the hoops, just remember though appointing a new teacher to a school is really important! I once had someone say they were really good at interviews but wouldn't possibly do all the things they talked about once they got the job! We have to find ways to find the right person for the job! Sometimes the horrible tasks really help spot those people who don't have a genuine love for the job and children. Just say and do what you believe in and yes have some helpful prompts in yr bag!
    Good luck

6. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about taking the level descriptors with me actually so I'm going to print those now and take them just in case. I can level work if I have those and hopefully planning would be ok. The email thing seems a bit ridiculous and pointless though! It's strange having this interview because there's absolutely no prep I can do for it!

7. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I can see the point of the email task - demonstrates literacy and ICT skills, as well as ability to work under pressure. With a cover letter, who knows whether it is indicative of the candidate working independently within a short period of time?
    Levelling seems plausible - writing, most likely. Preparing how you would teach a specific topic? After being given data, how would you handle the ability range for a group of children?
    I don't know. Interesting way of doing things.