1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA's

Discussion in 'Primary' started by School Boy Error, Sep 28, 2015.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

During a conversation with a colleague today we talked about utilising TA's during whole class teaching. It got me curious, how do others use their TA's during the teacher input?

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Supporting children who need it, for whatever reason. Occasionally being part of the teach or scribing things on a board for later use.

3. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

This is a big thing in our school at the moment, Ideas as above.

4. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

Do they remove children from whole class teaching then or parrot what the teacher is saying? I was reading the research from the EEF and this is considered to be counter productive.

5. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Making notes of key vocabulary used to support children who need it is good.
    I used to use a TA feedback form where the TA noted children with good feedback during whole class, children with misconceptions, children not engaging etc. This was quite useful for me to pick up on things in the class I was missing (ie the child who never contributed).
    Sometimes though they do need to just listen. If it is a specific concept you are teaching they may need to watch and listen how it is taught to ensure they do the same.
    One thing I have never liked is a TA talking to children whilst I am. I've always found it distracted me and other children to have another voice.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't withdraw children from lessons. TAs work alongside the class teacher in more of a team teaching role than the traditional TA velcroed to strugglers.
    Both teacher and TA provide support where and when needed.

7. chrisb240586

chrisb240586 New commenter

Im a year 1 TA and how I'm used depends on what we are doing if its setences then i will write sentence strips for our lower groups while she does the inputs if its phonics I take a group out and do a simpler phonics session based on what sound we are learning.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This.

They might take a group who haven't got it (as in a hand-picked group rather than an ability group0 to the carpet for additional input. They might do the same the following day during registration. Or they might do a pre-teach sinmilarly.

Also the TA acts as an observer to make notes and feed back assessment information.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't ability group

10. TA-in-need

TA-in-need New commenter

I have taken groups and done RWI sessions with them and planned it on my own etc

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No, no do we.

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No edit function? I mean *nor do we*

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You should see the edit function after posting.

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@nick909
    You should see it below your post - but there is a time limit for editing.
    upload_2015-9-30_21-27-56.png