1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TAs, what are your expectations from your Teacher?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by feebeela, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hello TAs,
    I want to start next year off on the right foot and would like to know what you, as professionals, would expect from your teacher to be successful. I am thinking of the following:
    A shared book for daily tasks, comments, requests etc where we can write notes to each other
    Planning folder with specific column for TA actions
    Being organised with resources for photocopying etc (avoiding emergencies where possible)
    Space in classroom for TA gubbins
    Secret drawer for high sugar, high fat, low nutrient snackage....
    Anything else....?

2. Hello TAs,
    I want to start next year off on the right foot and would like to know what you, as professionals, would expect from your teacher to be successful. I am thinking of the following:
    A shared book for daily tasks, comments, requests etc where we can write notes to each other
    Planning folder with specific column for TA actions
    Being organised with resources for photocopying etc (avoiding emergencies where possible)
    Space in classroom for TA gubbins
    Secret drawer for high sugar, high fat, low nutrient snackage....
    Anything else....?

3. First of all, thank you :) All of that sounds good. If your TA will be taking groups/ individuals for interventions, they may need time for planning and marking, as well as feedback.

5. good honest feedback,,,,,,,, it always works
    ( ps I'd be your TA)

6. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Top tip: Communicate. If you're not sure what is acceptable, discuss it with her. I've been a TA for a long time now and worked with many teachers and the only times I've ever taken exception are when I have been ignored or taken for granted. If you are open and upfront and she is too, everything will be fine. Good luck