1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TA's being hit!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by grumpyta, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I was just wondering what happens in other schools when TA's or staff are hit by pupils. I am at my wits end. I have been bitten, kicked, punched, pinched and even head butted in my stomach, sometimes in front of the whole class, by children up to the age of 8. Usually the head has a calming talk to them and sometimes their parents are told. Other times I have been told that as she has not been informed there is nothing she can do about it i.e out of school or the teacher has not informed the head. I feel constantly stressed, have sleepless nights and have even told the head I cannot work extra hours because the class are uncontrollable. I'm now thinking it is time to leave as the health and well-being of other staff and myself are not really taken into consideration. What are other peoples views?

2. I was just wondering what happens in other schools when TA's or staff are hit by pupils. I am at my wits end. I have been bitten, kicked, punched, pinched and even head butted in my stomach, sometimes in front of the whole class, by children up to the age of 8. Usually the head has a calming talk to them and sometimes their parents are told. Other times I have been told that as she has not been informed there is nothing she can do about it i.e out of school or the teacher has not informed the head. I feel constantly stressed, have sleepless nights and have even told the head I cannot work extra hours because the class are uncontrollable. I'm now thinking it is time to leave as the health and well-being of other staff and myself are not really taken into consideration. What are other peoples views?

3. I know I'm in a secondary school, but if our TAs were assaulted like that then the student would be put in isolation! If it was a persistant thing then they would have to be assessed as to whether they were safe to have in a class? I know of one student who punched a teacher and he has not been in the classroom ever since as he was deemed too dangerous to be around adults and children. That was a couple of years ago!

4. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Ours can get excluded for this.
    And rightly so.

5. We have to feel grateful for an apology even though the same child hits several of us TA's and you know they don't mean it. It is the fact that this child has no consequences for what he has done and it makes us feel like it is part of our job description to put up with being assaulted. We are all stressed that nothing is done to punish these children. I wonder what are they going to grow up like if they are allowed to get away with this constantly.

6. POB

POB

Sounds like a terrible and unacceptable situation to work in.
    What does your behaviour policy say (consequences) about this sort of behaviour??

7. The behavioural policy about to be set up actually states there are no set sanctions. Then goes on to say that the teacher dealing with a situation will give a suitable sanction but this is after going through the stages of informing parents etc. Then further on it states sanctions should be rarely used. I am even more confused by this policy. Grrrrr

8. any child has a history of hitting a member of staff with deliberate intent in our infant school, has it written into their individual behaviour management plan that if it happens they will be excluded for the rest of the day, and the following day. Sends out a strong message to pupils and staff this is unacceptable.

9. your school not only has a duty of care towards the sutdnts but also towards you and that means protecting you from violent pupils. If a pupil physically assaults you, refuse to work with them , say you feel it is not safe for you to do so.

10. silver2003

silver2003 New commenter

Of course no person should go to work and get hit. These children however need guidance and support and directed along the right path. I take the view that rather than worry about having to put up with these behaviours I try to get to the route of the behviour and then they generally stop.
    I am a teacher in an EBD school though so might think differently.
    These children need close observation to try and work out the route of the behaviour. I must also say in my experience it is rarely naughty chid syndrome!!! there are other issues such as communication difficulties, undiagnosed disorders etc.
    Once detailed observations have happened a behaviour plan will need to be set up and all that work with the child be aware of it and implement it.
    Hope this helps.

11. I have been hit today by a 6 year old. 3 days exclusion for that child.

12. That is an absolute disgrace.
    At my school last year a boy pushed past a TA roughly and hurt her arm. He got a fixed term exclusion from school for several days. My school is secondary so maybe that's one reason why it's different but why on earth should a child of any age be allowed to deliberately physically abuse members of staff? A 'calming talk'? What a load of rubbish

13. I work in an EBD school too. Occasionally staff are injured - sometimes quite seriously, but no one talks any *** about close observation. I find it offensive that you can talk about 'naughty child syndrome!!' - you're belittling the TA who is anxious for her own safety and is almost certainly not being paid the extra you and I expect for working in challenging circumstances.
    Children (without PMLD) who lash out have to learn not to. Children who accidently injure a member of staff while in distress are contained by the usual methods and it's one of those things, but a child who deliberately hit, kicked, bit or headbutted any staff would be in deep trouble.
    For every troubled child who finally bites the adult who is tormenting them with nagging or incomprehensible instructions, there are a dozen emotional toddlers who need to be firmly told no. Unfortunately, no one said no and made it stick at the appropriate time, so we have to when they're considerably bigger and stronger.

14. I have been hit by a pupil, trying to defend a student on work experience. The child thought tey were playing and when I led his hand for him to sit down he punched and kicked me in front of the class. He was already at that point on different behaviour charts etc but no one in school wants to admit that this child has a problem. The incident was reported to some SMT and also other teachers but Head denied he had been told. All blame was directed at me and my class control. Nothing happened to this child and I had to continue teaching him.

I do think that some Head teachers do not want to admit they have behaviour issues and maybe if there were a few more Head's out there that actually supported teachers- the world would be a better place!! And we wouldn't feel like we are fighting a losing battle to raise children who actually respect adults!!

15. Silver2003-glad to see someone taking steps to get to the root of the problem. Otherwise the punishment is like a plaster on an open wound. Behaviour is a form of communication so you need to see what causes the behaviour and look at frequency as well as what happens immediately afterwards. Suspension/exclusion should only happen if the child has been through a behaviour programme-planned and implemented with consistency. Hope it works out both for the child and for you.

16. Hmm I regret to say things down here in Tasmania, Australia are no better.
    We had one young man in Grade 5, beating chunks out of a grade 3 kid,
    Principal stepped in, he repeatedly punched the Principal, then his brother in grade 7, jumped on the Principals back, gouged him with a pen, and broke his nose. 2 weeks out!
    Next he hit a pregnant member of staff.
    When he punched me in the face he was "expelled" or so they told me (only 5 kids a year are expelled in Tassie).
    Last thing I heard the Ed Department was fighting to have him moved back to school into my class.
    So three fairly serious assaults and still he is back! No special behaviour schools down here, everyone is in the classroom.

17. Part of schooling is for children to learn their actions have consequences, and that there are better ways than violence to get what you need. Other children learn from what happens to violent children, too. Children have different reasons for violence - if anyone can talk with the child they may find out what the reason is.

Loss of privileges at once. Lessons which include stories about what consequences there are to antisocial behaviour and stories about children and adults who change their behavior. It is good if a school has a person with a strong personality llke a sergeant major whose voice can keep order, and who can be brought in to help a persecuted teacher.
    No beginning teacher can be left alone to struggle with class control - they cannot learn to teach in such situations.
    Parents can help; those who won't are a problem and the whole family may need referral to an outside help to deter them.

18. annsue

annsue New commenter

Also, we should not forget to report each assrault to our unions. It is important that the extent of this abuse is collated. Neither should we shy away from reporting assault to police. I was slapped by a pupil, which caused some bruising, I made a statement to the police because I was angry as the pupil had previously assaulted other staff members in a similar manner and had received the "calming talk and understanding" too often. The child was given a police warning and a curfew.
    I also believe that a new "third party harassment" law has recently come into force. IThis acknowledges that we can now be harassed by pupils and parents. We must report incidents to line managers. It is then their duty to follow it up otherwise they can be called to task over it.

19. I find it depends on the school - on placement whilst training I was hit over the head by a year 1 boy witnessed whilst being observed - nothing happened, bar a form sent to County. The parent was even reported to say - "well no one died!" and I did not receive an apology nor any support from SLT. Whilst in my current school it would be taken much more seriously and thankfully I have not had any encounters as yet. I think your situation is appalling and what is worse is that no one is listening to you, I hope you get some kind of resolution.

20. Why do you think that something is causing this behaviour? All the badly behaved children I know have chosen to act the way they do.