1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tarot/Psychic readings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by acertainsomething, Jun 5, 2011.

1. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Friends have had these experiences and tell me trhat they can be quite accurate (especially Tarot cards) I appreciate that anyone who has a brain that is tuned in to logical thinking will dismiss it as Hokus Pokus. However there are a lot of people who set a lot of store into what they are told. Genuine experiences or feelings from people who know about this stuff. I am definitely on the fence at the mo.

2. Ah.

I remember I used this kind of thing after a particularly painful relationship break-up, years ago.
    Runes, tarot - you name it. I even had phsychic readings from a San Francisco fruit-loop who then tried to convince me we should go out with each other. After he'd explained to me that I was an Egyptian slave in a previous life. True.
    Do whatever it takes to get through the emotional sludge. Clarity will come eventually. You'll be ok.

3. Get off the fence! At best it's nonsense and at worst manipulative nonsense sold at a high price to the needy.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This.
    If you still need to be told what to do roll a dice instead and save yourself some money in the process.

5. Ooh, ACS is the new Dice Man! Or, you could be like that bloke in the paper who manages his love life via a phone in vote.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Even if I thought they were true (which I most certainly don't) there isn't enough money to pay me to have cards read/fortune told. I'd much rather not know what's in front of me.

7. Coincidence and a skill in reading people's expressions.

8. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

I read the Tarot; I have never tried to use the cards to tell the future - I just find them useful as a meditative or thinking tool - they can help to bring a different perspective to a situiation or a problem, or a situation in our lives by linking different ideas in unlikely ways.
    Any attempt to tell the future with cards, palm readings, scrying, all that stuff is just a load of rubbish; we remember only the stuff that comes true, we fit events to the prediction after the fact and most fortune tellers are either good cold-readers (taking information and making educated guesses from appearances and responses) or have a tendency to make bland catch-all comments in which we might all see ourselves.

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Dare I say this?
    I have some Tarot cards, and I use them at times of high stress or when decisions need to be made. I do not have readings done by so called 'professionals' who claim to be able to tell me the future - this is rubbish. The aim of the Tarot is not to predict the future.
    In my opinion, the Tarot is an aid in uncovering your own feelings about a situation, or in revealing ideas and events that you weren't aware of. No individual card is capable to telling you something will/will not happen. The cards work collectively to suggest a pattern, or an overal trend.
    I certainly wouldn't set any store by anyone claiming that they could tell me my future by looking at a few cards.
    And if they inhale sharply when the 'Death' card appears, you know they are a charlaton.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

IMO if tarot cards have any 'truth' in them then you could have your cards 'read' and, 5 minutes later do it again, and get the same result. This never happens. Load of old tosh.

11. I think that fortune telling, tarot reading etc is a dangerous game to get into, and tbh it is something which frightens the living daylights out of me.
    Call me a religious freak if you like, but the reason I believe this is, because I honestly to think that there are those who are accurately able to tell you about things which have happened in your past.
    I do not believe these people are able to see the past, any more than they can predict the future, but I believe that they can be aided by evil spirits if you like, which give then the power to be able to tell you the things they do.
    This probably does not apply to all of them - most of them are probably just lucky and tell you very general things, which are ambiguous.
    Others are very dangerous.

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Exactly why I say that it's impossible to predict the future based on the cards. Anyone who says they can did this is lying, since no one card has a hard and fast meaning (e.g. you get THIS card, it means you're going to get a new job).
    However, when in a quandry about a certain situation, the cards encourage the querent to think about different aspects of the situation in isolation, and then perhaps piece together some of those ideas.
    Perhaps you are wondering about whether or not you should break up with you boyfriend and you receive a card that points to destruction (the Tower for instance) or the end of something (Death for example). How you respond to seeing this card largely helps you to reflect on your own feelings.
    This is a rather crude example, I know, but I'm just trying to explain how I view the Tarot.

There are times, however, when you lay out a set of cards and nothing particular springs out at you as meaning anything. At times like these, I take this as a hint that I shouldn't reserve judgment or wait for more information on a situation before trying again.

13. I completely agree and I am not the least bit superstitious.
    At best, you will be ripped off by a cold reader who preys on people when they are vulnerable.
    At worst, something could come up which will upset you or inflence you to make bad decisions.
    Step away from those cards.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It's total nonsense.
    Many years ago I learned how to 'read' tarot, and for a time thought it was a way of 'uncovering' or 'revealing' hidden 'things'.
    It really isn't.
    It's silly and pretentious self-delusion.

15. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It's all ***, aimed at the sad and the lonely.

16. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I was sooooo compelled to take you up on your very generous offer but I shall fight the urge and simply say, "Oh dear".

17. I agree. It makes me very cross.

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I am so glad that evryone seems to be so vehement in their denunciation of these forms of charlatanism. Well done tessers.