1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Targets

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by theguru, Dec 8, 2018.

1. theguru

theguru New commenter

Hi, could someone please inform me how targets are derived from KS2 data to arrive at the pupils GCSE target. Thanks.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

There are many many ways! Fisher Family Trust is a common system.

theguru likes this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fischer Family Trust (FFT) and others generate individual pupil performance estimates based on the previous progress trends of large numbers of children nationally.

FFT were quite specific in their training literature that their estimates are NOT targets, and stated that in-school target-setting should involve an element of professional judgment by the individual pupils' teachers. The data was presented to schools by FFT as the 'basis for discussion' about targets. I know this because I've seen their original literature.

Surprise surprise, in schools this discussion rarely if ever took place. Consequently many schools simply told teachers that FFT's estimates were to be each pupil's targets, and staff performance management (aka appraisal) would be based on aggregates of these unmodified estimates.

So, if I had a class of pupils for whom the FFT estimates suggested 69% would achieve GCSE grade C or above, that 69% was written on a scrap of paper next to my GCSE subject's title, and was dumped in my pigeon hole at the start of the academic year as my performance management target. So much for 'basis for discussion' and professional judgment eh?

agathamorse, geordiepetal and theguru like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..and thanks to the miracle of the Internet Archive, the original .pdf document describing how to use FFT estimates correctly can still be found here.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It’s pretty simple - one looks at previous KS4 outcomes for the range of prior attainment groups (at KS2) and can then see what average progress looks like for each band. To set targets, one basically follows the same process, but backwards...

(Also with noting - because there hasn’t yet been a Y11 cohort which was assessed under the current KS2 assessment regime - there is more than one set of calculations needed across a school...)

There are various applications in existence that will do this for schools.