1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Targets

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mumjane, Dec 6, 2011.

1. As a reception teacher of 26 children who with 3 exceptions have March to August birthdays and a range of abiliites in a school which is in an area of social deprivation it has been suggested that I have a target of every child achieving 6+ profile points in every area unless there is a recognisable reason. This was suggested in my performance management. I agree with trying to reach high standards but am not sure this is a fair target and also takes no account of high ability children reaching their potential. What do people think?

2. As a reception teacher of 26 children who with 3 exceptions have March to August birthdays and a range of abiliites in a school which is in an area of social deprivation it has been suggested that I have a target of every child achieving 6+ profile points in every area unless there is a recognisable reason. This was suggested in my performance management. I agree with trying to reach high standards but am not sure this is a fair target and also takes no account of high ability children reaching their potential. What do people think?

3. What was there on entry assessment level? Surely it should be about making progress not all achieving the same 'grade' at the end of the year. Seems like an unfair target to me also. Contact your EY advisor if you're unsure, that's what they're there for.

4. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I think it is completely down to the individual and what they achieve and like the previous poster said surely it is about the progress the children have made! I am in nursery and have a general target of 100% reaching point 3 but I have a few children in mind that I don't think will reach that.
    I am slightly confused by the awarding of points - do you go solely off child initiated activities? My children aren't showing enough in CI although I know that several of my class understand subtraction and addition and are beginning to write sums but I only see this is adult led activities?
    I personally would continue to challenge the high ability children and ensure that they have the opportunities to reach higher than point 6 (although I have been informed that children can achieve in any order points 4-8 and then you can look to fill in the gaps).

5. I was informed yesterday by EY advisor that you're meant to go solely off child-initiated, if children aren't doing it independently then they haven't got the profile point. It seems hard to me though because children don;t often independently choose to do some of the profile points in child-initiated time.

6. The EY advisor is wrong. A minimum of 80% of assessment needs to be through CI play, so 20% can be through adult directed activities. This is specified in the EYFS handbook.

7. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

So I am therefore assuming that I can say a child has achieved points in areas that are difficult to observe through child initiated, such as Numbers as labels and counting - my children have opportunities to count and order numbers but they never do.

8. Yes, these could be part of your 20%.

9. Just thought I would share an idea to encourage children to mirror adult led activities. The children asked for a role play school, which is still popular after 5 weeks. They take resources we have used such as number fans and 100 squares and teach each other happily all day. we can then assess them as applying the skills in their child intiated play. Works well for us.

10. dbu

dbu New commenter

we have been told by advisor that it is 80% child initiated per point! so in reality for every time you see them do it in an adult directed activity they must do it a further 4 times independantly to gain that point.
    we are also told that you must see them doing it independantly 3 times in different contexts in order to give that profile point!

11. the world has gone mad . . .

12. erm... the perfomrance management tail here is wagging the dog, without a doubt........

13. I forget or don't have time to write down everything I see. Can I award the point just from knowing they can do it without recording evidence (3 times!)?

14. This sound like utter madness. ask to see the profile analysis from your autumn package. You should be able to see from this LA and national averages.You will also be able to see the 3 year trend fro your school. This may help with the setting of realistic targets. If you submit data to your LA showing 100% at 6+ in all areas they will probably send the moderator in for a long discussion! I have not got my information at home but even in the most leafy suburbs they do not get 100% in every area.
    incidentally what are your targets for Y2. Are they asked to achieve 100% level 2b+?