1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Targets

Discussion in 'Primary' started by oldsomeman, Jan 31, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Do they work?........I am not sure as my kids dont try and work to them...........I think they are a waste of time......What are your views?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Do they work?........I am not sure as my kids dont try and work to them...........I think they are a waste of time......What are your views?

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Every school is different..it all depends how embedded the target system is in your school. We send them out at parents evening on one sheet and when asked 95% of our kids have never seen them at home...so no not for us at all
    I personally dont like the word...hate talking about perf managment 'targets' and for me it just has a negative connation....as I think far too much of society has become about 'targets' which has made people very narrow minded and insular in their lives

4. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I also dont see how kids at primary can be motivated to work on their targets at home, do I work or even care about my 'performance managment' target at home? no, couldnt care less about them

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

yup! big waste of time. I can set small 'targets' (things to work on) for each child almost daily just by looking at their writing or maths work, or anything else for that matter.
    Hate targets for children, there's enough going on for them such as reading challenges, homework and spellings. All these clutter up their learning and for sum, make school a boring conveyor belt of meaningless tasks to be done.