1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Targets for Reception Class.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by wolls, Oct 28, 2007.

1. As a whole school we are developing a clear target setting system for all children. This is linked with half termly assessments throughout school and a clear tracking system. I am finding it hard to follow what the rest of the school are doing and would like to develop a simple target system for reception that is not as in depth as the rest of the school. The rest of the school set targets in numeracy, literacy and science. They have bookmarks in the childrens books stating their targets, have target sheets stuck in their books, have the targets displayed in the classroom and send target booklets home for parents. These targets are reviewed and changed, where necessary, every half term. The work is obviously marked to these targets. I feel this is too much for a reception class but nethertheless I am expected to do this. I would be interested to find out what other reception teachers do with regards targets and how they are displayed, shared with parents etc.

2. As a whole school we are developing a clear target setting system for all children. This is linked with half termly assessments throughout school and a clear tracking system. I am finding it hard to follow what the rest of the school are doing and would like to develop a simple target system for reception that is not as in depth as the rest of the school. The rest of the school set targets in numeracy, literacy and science. They have bookmarks in the childrens books stating their targets, have target sheets stuck in their books, have the targets displayed in the classroom and send target booklets home for parents. These targets are reviewed and changed, where necessary, every half term. The work is obviously marked to these targets. I feel this is too much for a reception class but nethertheless I am expected to do this. I would be interested to find out what other reception teachers do with regards targets and how they are displayed, shared with parents etc.

3. My last school did this and it doesn't quite fit for Reception! Discuss suitable targets with the coordinators who set the targets so that they are realistic for your class. Put them in child friendly language and you can display them e.g. on a ladder and the children can know what they are aiming for. When they achieve a target they can move themselves up on the ladder or whatever you have. Don't bother with targets stuck in books etc! The wall will be enouigh to involve children in their learning and targets.

Hope this helps!

4. blinky23

blinky23 New commenter

I totally agree that it is too much for a Reception class but we have been made to do it as well.

My year group partner and I devised some targets for Reading, Writing and Numeracy - i can send them to you if you wish.

We have target trees up in our classroom - each leaf has one of the targets written on it. The children's names are attached to the leaf showing their target. The children have been told their targets and stuck their names on the leaves themselves. Once they achieve their target they will move to a new leaf. Hope this makes sense.

On my tables I have made a stand up target card which displays the names of the children in each group and their reading, writing and maths target so that whoever is working with the children can see immediately what targets the children are working on.

I have to say it has been hard setting the system up but fingers crossed it seems to be working so far!

5. Thanks gen1 and blinky23. I like the idea of a ladder or a tree with the children's names on them. It is child friendly and allows the children to clearly see where they are. It is good to know that it's not just me who thinks the rest of the school targets are not suitable for reception. blinky23, if you could send me those targets to have a look at I would really appreciate that wendysaxon@hotmail.com
    Thanks again, some great ideas.

6. blinky23 - thanks for the targets!!!

7. blinky23

blinky23 New commenter

no problem - hope they are useful!

8. blinky23

blinky23 New commenter

yep no problems x

9. We were expected to do this too but he early years advisor came and stepped in for us and now the targets are something for staff to be aware of but not the children. Totally ridiculous for my lot!

10. Sorry to be a pain, but we are going to have to do this too - this sounds manageable. I think I'll do the tree one, sounds good. Can you send me the targets please, many thanks, pededwards@aol.com thank you.

11. Morning Blinky. YOur system sounds very impressive. Please could I take alookat a copy of your targets thanks. sukisocks@hotmail.com

12. blinky23

blinky23 New commenter

Dunno about impressive but its working for me!

Sent them to you, hope they help x

13. hi blinky targets sound great, any chance you could send me a copy?
    thanks peb 73
    peb73@hotmail.co.uk

14. blinky23

blinky23 New commenter

Hi guys,

i've sent the targets to everyone who has asked for them so far.

If anyone else wants a copy my email is
    sarahchappell343@hotmail.com

Hope they are useful to the people who i have sent them to!

15. they are just what i was looking for. sometimes it is just useful to know that other people are on the same wave-length as you! thank you x

16. blinky23

blinky23 New commenter

17. We set targets for ours - if anyone would like a copy let me know!