1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Targets for marking

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by deut, Mar 6, 2011.

1. deut

deut New commenter

I am not talking about levelled assessments but weekly book marking. I remember reading about a course run ( by NATRE I think) that suggested students had a list of targets in the back of ex books so that when the teacher marked the books each week a target could be selected and the number of the target written in the margin. The student would then be given time to look up the target and write it out. This seems like a really good idea for RS teachers (who perhaps teach half the classes in the school) and haven't got time to endlessly write weekly targets in addition to marking assessed work.It also would mean that students actually read and thought about the target.
    Does this ring a bell with anyone? Do you know which course it is? Does anyone have a list of targets that I can take a look at? I would be really grateful.

2. deut

deut New commenter

I am not talking about levelled assessments but weekly book marking. I remember reading about a course run ( by NATRE I think) that suggested students had a list of targets in the back of ex books so that when the teacher marked the books each week a target could be selected and the number of the target written in the margin. The student would then be given time to look up the target and write it out. This seems like a really good idea for RS teachers (who perhaps teach half the classes in the school) and haven't got time to endlessly write weekly targets in addition to marking assessed work.It also would mean that students actually read and thought about the target.
    Does this ring a bell with anyone? Do you know which course it is? Does anyone have a list of targets that I can take a look at? I would be really grateful.

3. Off the top of my head I think it is in the RE Today Assessing RE Publication, will look later if you like.

On a personal note, I just tick class work to say I have seen it and will only comment if it is outstnadingly good or poor. Whereas homeworks or extended written work done in class gets properly target marked. Just got outstanding when checked so not losing sleep over that one!

4. ott

ott

There are some examples in the assessment section on REstuff!

5. deut

deut New commenter

We have a school marking policy in addition to levelled assessment markings and I know that for staff who teach lots of classes these targets would save writing an additional comment each week.
    Thanks for this ott, I have found it.
    I am a member of NATRE and receive my termly RE Today. How old is the publication Assessing RE. Do you think I can order it from their website?
    Thank you both. This is really helpful

6. san38

san38 New commenter

I have done this for a while. We just worked out what we were saying the most, made a list of 10 targets, marked work using these numbers as a code and the kids then knew what their target was. Have since been told however by a pre-ofsted visitor that this won;t really be considered 'good' by ofsted unless time is spent after each marking to allow a student to improve the work based on the target. In other words it's no good for them to know what the target is unless they are then seen to do something about it.
    Whilst this makes sense I have yet to be told how they think I'm gonna manage this on one hour a week!!

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

simple, on their next piece of assesses work, get them to answer the question 'how have i implemented my target from last time'.

This covers A4L and pupil using targets. The other option is to have the pupils write out 2 targets for themselves.

8. crownjoolz71

crownjoolz71 New commenter

I have Lat Blalock's quick marking tips and codes if you're interested? These include comment de-coders (basically a statement bank with RE comments that can be stuck into books)

davies.j2@we-learn.com

Juliet x

9. deut

deut New commenter

Thank you so much. I have e-mailed you!

10. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

that's the sort of marking I prefer, too.

When you teach literally hundreds of students a week you can't do everything. I also like to keep a stamp with a flower or smile or something like that, to use as I go round the room supporting the students while they are working on something in class. Then I can quickly give a visible sign of encouragement which can be counted up and act as currency for merits or praise cards home.

11. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Sorry - this is the quote I was referring to when i said I like this approach.

I know that some people like the code for targets but I hate it. To me it is reducing things to numbers and there is far too much of that going on in our society today. I like to keep the human touch as much as possible.

Years ago I was on an inset where the regional RE advisor said they had done a lot of studies which showed that in general, exercise book marking (ticks and targets) does not make any significant improvement in learning. What is more important is teachers giving a more detailed response with good feedback to selected assignments at regular intervals - he suggested two a term.

12. I use personalised stampers that we got made through super stickers.
    When marking GCSE exam papers the only thing I 'write' is numbers. The stampers have every possible phrase I use already on them. I just stamp when it is needed e.g 'Develop TWO reasons in a B)' or 'Use PEE PEE in a B).
    You can choose the colour, layout and even the picture on them. I know they cost money but mine are still going years of stamping later. I suppose you could equate the printing of sheets and hassle of cutting sticking with buying a set of stampers.
    However, I never used to mark KS3 work other than assessments. A waste of my time UNLESS, as said above, it is something you will give them more time on, which we do anyway in our KS3 assessments.

13. Brilliant suggestion! Thanks :eek:)
    After each of the 3 main assessments student have at my school they are required to record their 'results' and some targets. I have now amended our assesment record card to try to address the probs highlighted from on ofsted point of view!! Feel free to look, comment, make suggestions....
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Assessment-Record-Card-for-KS3-6097623/requestAction/add/