1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target Tracker

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by parachute89, Dec 8, 2018.

1. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

Advice please. I'm soon moving to a new a school which uses Target Tracker for assessments (never used this before). I see it splits up the age band into beginning, beginning plus, working towards, working towards plus, and secure and secure plus. Then there is ELG emerging and ELG secure.

What would the difference be between beginning and beginning plus etc? I've only ever used assessment methods that use three steps progress - emerging, developing, secure.

2. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

The thing is that children can do 6 jumps in an academic year. I guess it is useful, if you need to track children many times throughout the year. Do not worry, it is quick and easy to use. :) I am not saying what I think about all the data that generates. ;)

3. MagicalEYFS

MagicalEYFS New commenter

When I have only highlighted a couple of statements for a child in a certain area or just one then I would usually put them as Beginning. If I have a bit more but not yet half of the statements then I might decide to say Beginning Plus instead of Working Towards. Half or more tgen I would say Working Towards. If a child had almost all of the statements on an age band achieved but not quite all then I would put Working Plus. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Some people don't even use the plus categories.
    Unless your new school have a specific way they would like you to work then just play around and do what works best for you.