1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target Tracker - HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Hannah_, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Hannah_

Hannah_ New commenter

Hello,

We are using Target Tracker to track and assess children in our school. As we are now following a new curriculum, it was decided that all of our children would be given the same starting point in September.

Has any other school done this? What did you do with the children with SEND and those who are receiving additional support? Did you put them back to where they would be on Target Tracker? The problem I can see with that is that the children with SEND may actually appear to make more progress than other children due to them being allowed to start at their actual correct 'level'.

Has anyone else got experience of Target Tracker and children with SEND?
    Thank you!

2. MathsWhizz91

MathsWhizz91 New commenter

I'm slightly confused as to how you are starting all the children off at the same 'level'? That is just crazy... your progress won't mean anything as some children may have been put too low or too high, so you might even end up with having children having negative progress if they are assessed to actually be lower than your given level.
    At my school, we baselined our children using new assessments tests and TA, and we inputted their new band onto Target Tracker as their starting 'level' for the year. Even then, there have been a few inconsistencies as to where they haven't matched up... Not sure how you can just start all the children in each year group on the same 'level'.

3. Hannah_

Hannah_ New commenter

Hi MathsWhizz,
    Thanks for your reply.
    We started off the year with teachers having baselined the children (similar to what your school has done) but then it was decided that we had just tried to match the old levels with a new system so that was scrapped as there were too many inconsistencies. We didn't use new assessment tests like your school which would have helped I think.
    Now, we are at a point where some children, as you say, may appear to make negative progress or just not move for ages until they catch up. I have to try and work out how to demonstrate that children with SEND and less able children are making progress... I am wondering if I should ask for them to be put back again?!
    Trying to work out a solution!

4. MathsWhizz91

MathsWhizz91 New commenter

Hmmm...It's all so difficult isn't it? :(
    If it was me, I would purchase some new assessment tools and find a more accurate baseline for the children. Otherwise you will have issues when trying to track progress for a long time, as the children will end up being all over the place and this will only become worse as they progress through the school.
    The SEND or less able children may have been put too high at the beginning and so this will look like they have made no or little progress... the TA will hopefully say otherwise but it's proving it. Equally, how will you show that your more able children are making enough progress as they may have been baselined too high or too low even. Again, your average ability children are at risk, probably the most at risk, of becoming stuck as they may remain at their baselined level for a long time due to their inaccurate baseline.
    It will be a pain, but I would suggest assessing the children again and at least getting a more accurate baseline for where they are now, to move forward in the future accurately.

5. Worker_Bee

Worker_Bee New commenter

I think you are totally right. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer! I know how busy everyone is. Will discuss it at school tomorrow. Thanks again!

6. chrissmith2000

chrissmith2000 New commenter

Dear Hannah,
    I think that children ought to be assessed where they are in terms of their understanding of the curriculum. Some children are probably still trying to fill in gaps from previous years in terms of their understanding of the curriculum, and to say that all children are all the same in highly unlikely to be true.

The Steps in TT are supposed to be infrequent summative assessments which reflect how secure children are with their learning in terms of how much they understand. The statement section of TT is very good for formative assessment and that is really where you ought to start, with the steps simply as a measure of summative based on proportion of the statements understood. Anything else will end up being fake. The helpline at TT have great tools and support sheets they are happy to send out to you, Try ringing them on 0345 200 8600 option 2.
    All the best, Chris