1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target Tracker and steps of progress.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by onmyknees, Sep 12, 2015.

1. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Just wondered how many steps of progress your school requires in order to say a child has made good progress. How many steps have you been told is required for SEN pupils?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

6 steps are required per year, more for good progress. Same expectation for SEN, just from a different starting point!

3. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

What is each step worth?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

[​IMG]

It's not worth anything, it's impossible to measure and bears no real relationship to how children learn!

But we use it

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it!

Basically each year group is split into a step. So year 4 is Step 4, year 5 is step 5 etc. Then it is split again into little steps, 5b, 5b+, 5w, 5w+, 5s, 5s+. So six litle steps per year. If a child enters your year group at 4s, the expectation is that they will leave at a minimum of 5s and so make 6 little steps progress. So far, so good-if they come in as average they have to leave as at least average. Not unrealisitic.

BUT

to move from one little step to the next involves ticking of objectives for the subject. The greater percentage of objectives you can tick off, the further along the little steps you are. But some years will have 20 objectives, some will have 30! Some objectives take little time to cover, some are huge! Some teachers tick the objectives off just after teaching the skill, some ensre the child can do it backwards, sidewards and upside down! Some teachers tick off all the little, easy objectives first and look to have made lots of progress, then leave the "longer objectives" for the next teacher who hardly makes any progress at all!

Can you guess we are still finding our way through it!!

6. onmyknees

We have been told our kids with SEN need to show accelerated progress and make 8 steps of progress to narrow the gap. It's impossible!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have a Year 5 who is making his way, very slowly through Step 2. We are applying for a statement for him, the main reason quoted being his lack of progress in all areas. He still has apparently to make at least 6 little steps progress this year!

8 steps is beyond a joke!

8. summlard

summlard New commenter

Argh, this is what frustrates me so much! The government got rid of levels to make things simpler and then schools, under fear from an imaginary being, decide to buy into or create even more complicated systems than those that they replaced! Basically 6 sublevels a year is an absolute joke isn't it! Ha. It's just not how teaching and assessing should be.

9. onmyknees

It basically means that teachers are once again, teaching just to push children through the steps too quickly. There seems no time for consolidation. Poor kids- we are failing them!!

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No it means that target tracker have come up with a system that mimics the old one.

In the new curriculum there are programmes of study for each year group (what you need to teach/learn) and target tracker has taken this and broken it down into six steps

11. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

To those of you who are using the new Target Tracker, can I ask a question!

Have you been given a breakdown of what eg a 4b looks like as opposed to a 4b+? Like sub level descriptors (I KNOW sub levels never really existed anyway, but there were sub level descriptors floating around) or do you look overall at all the statements and if they have just a few of them highlighted, they are a 4b, and if they have a few more, they go up to a 4b+??? Like the old APP?

I am struggling to look at a piece of work and level it.

I just can't think 'oh, that's a 4w, but if it had xyz, it would be a 4w+'!?