1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target Setting

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by littlestarsprimary, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Hello all

Just looking for some advice! (Obviously!)

Just wondering about target setting. At my school we have table top targets in plastic holders - one side maths and one side literacy.

The children are sat in groups according to their ability.
    They have two boxes- one with an 'I can' statement and one with a 'next step'.
    I am just wondering how I go about picking these?!
    Seeing as I don't know what the children can do?
    We are following the Ros Wilson criteria.

2. In our school we have an APP recording thing on the computer so you can see what the children can already do and what level they are at... if you have anything similar I would find some things they aren't able to do yet or need more practice at and use that as your targets (based around what you are learning...)

Another way, if you can still get on them, could be to look for the old archived national strategies website and look at the end of year targets for your year group and base them on those?

Hope that helped a little! Don't panic too much as once you get into school you can always ask for advice from your colleagues :)