1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target setting

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by shy anne, Sep 9, 2011.

1. I know that all students, regardless of their initial levels or SEN, are expected to make 2 levels of progress between KS2 and KS3, ie 2 sub levels per year.
    This year for the first time we have some students with Statements starting in Y7 who were TA assessed at Primary School as working at P8 or NC1 and got a B for their KS2 results. My school have just put this data and their end of Y7 targets on our system. I teach a class of 16 Intervention students and 9 of them have a B grade and have been given end end of year target of 3c. In fact what they have done is give everyone who got a B, N or 2, the same end of year target!!
    As SENCO, I have a lot of information from their Primary Schools and from Statements or assessment reports which clearly state they most of them are not yet working at L1.
    I have to prepare an arguement this weekend to go to the Head to persuade him to manually reduce their target grades to more realistic ones but despite trawling the internet, I am still struggling to find official guidance on what a student working at for instance 1c would be expected to achieve at the end of KS3 (so that I can work out a target for this year)
    So, I want to tell him that a student on P8 would move to a 1c and then a 1b - is that 2 sub levels? Then a student on 1c would move through 1b to 1a in one year and so on, 2c and 2b in Y8 then 2a and 3c in Y9? At the rate I have just been given, my SEN students at P8/NC1 will be expected to get a 3c at the end of Y7, 3a at the end of Y8 and a 4b at the end of Y9 - and probably be expected to get a grade C at GCSE!!
    In reality the learning difficulties of a couple of the students mean they are very unlikely to progress beyond L1 as after 7 years of Primary school teaching they still cannnot read at all and can barely write - but they are lovely kids and I want to fight for them to have fair targets.
    Please could someone direct me to very specific guidance that I can present to the Head, I have looked at the Progression Data etc but it shows % of what different levels have achieved in their cohorts rather than a clear graph showing progression from P scales through to KS3 etc.I have got a table showing that but it starts at W working towards a 1 being expeced to achieve a G grade rather than from Ks2 to KS3.

Thanks for reading this long post, I hope someone here can help me this weekend.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Sorry I can't help with sources and data only experience of working with pupils working within the P levels. 1 full level a year is the official guidance from the government, but it does not take any note of special needs... all pupils are expected to make the same level of progress regardless. Your programme for predicting does seem a bit off though.
    However based on what you are saying your initial data is not accurate; If a student can't read at all and can barely write they are NOT at P8. They must be below P6... You may need to check their <u>actual</u> levels. This may give you a better target.
    P6 reading "Pupils select and recognise or read a small number of words or symbols linked to a familiar vocabulary, for example, name, people, objects or actions. They match letters and short words"
    P6 Writing: Pupils produce or write their name in letters or symbols. They copy letter forms, for example, labels and/or captions for pictures or for displays.

3. OK, I was a bit out with what they can do I think, but I have only taught them for a week. am pretty sure they can write their names in letters and copy some words. The data I have is from their Primary SENCO's so I assume it is accurate as they have taught them for several years. I have been told that even if we disagree with the levels that have been given us, we cannot lower them once they have seen sent off as KS2 figures.
    The main problem is getting my SLT to accept that a B in the SATs just means they did not take the tests because they were below the levels, and that a B could represent P scales, level 1 or level 2. What they do when setting targets is give everyone a level 3c if they got a B, N, 2 or 1 and I doubt they have ever thought of P scales!!
    To get them to manually amend the targets, I know I will have to produce some official guidance from somewhere. I was hopping some Primary or Special School teachers might be able to point me in the right direction.

4. dzil

Sorry, I am a special school teacher (secondary pupils with SLD and PMLD). We have been given the same information as you. All pupils expected to make the required two levels of progress over the key stage... thus P1aii to P3a, P4 to P6, P8 to level 2 etc. Unrealistic if they have only made 1 sublevel of progress in the last 6 years I grant you, but that's what we have to aim for and according to Gove and th government it's not unrealistic! [​IMG]

5. My students have been given the target of B to 3c in one year - and their actual levels is 1 (on a good day!) Not only unrealistic but inaccurate I believe as it should be 2 sub levels in a year. I think the school are not accepting that the data system has to allow us to use levels below L3!
    Am getting nowhere with SLT to get them changed manually, but a couple of parents have asked to see the Head as they do not accept the targets either.

6. I know this is a week late, but only just found your posting. There may be some help for you in the Progression Guidance 2010-2011 document. I too have had the same problem of expectations across KS2 and that seems to be the only place I can find official support for my argument. There again, who listens to us teachers who are realistic in our targets? We are told we are not challenging, or don;t have high enough expectaions. No win situation. [​IMG]

7. I am sick and tired of hearing this inaccuracy that all children are expected to make 2 sub levels of progress a year! EXPECTED progress is 3 sub levels in 2 years (ie 1.5 levels in a year) and for children starting from a low base point this is NOT expected. Look in the Progression Guidance.
    One of the distinguishing features of children with many learning difficulties is that they learn more <u>slowly</u> than average children. When are we going to get away from this nonsense and back to the idea of 'reasonable progress' (see the CoP)

8. dzil

I refer you to "guidance for local authorities and schools on setting educational performance targets for 2012" This being the most recent document I have read relating to this. There are many more that are slightly older but more specific about the two levels <u>per key stage</u> being the usual expected progress.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/2/2012%20target%20setting%20guidance.pdf

Page 4, second point under the heading &ldquo;Threshold and progression attainment targets&rdquo;.&ldquo;wherever possible pupils should have targets to make AT LEAST two levels of progress from KS1 to KS2 and the expected level of progress from KS 2 to 4."

4 years in KS2, 6 sub levels = 1.5 levels per year (as you say) however the op is referring to KS3 progress. There are only 3 years in KS3 so 6 sub levels = 2 sub levels per year. (hence the &ldquo;lie&rdquo; you seem to think we are spreading) I teach pupils with severe and profound learning difficulties. Several of our pupils can and do achieve this level of progress in some if not all subjects.

Perhaps you can help with specific reference to a recent document showing that this level of progress in not expected of pupils with learning difficulties. I can&rsquo;t find it in the &ldquo;progression guidance&rdquo; documents you refer me to. I have obviously missed it. The op is trying to find such a reference to help persuade her SMT that a target of level 3c end of YEAR 7 target is not acceptable for a pupil achieving P8 at the end of year 6.

9. So far I have failed to find the evidence I need to get the targets altered, so I am going to be a super teacher who ensures a child with global learning difficulties workng at P/1 at end of KS2, will achieve a level 3c in one year!!
    I really do need some official document to take to SMT, I will keep on looking at get back to you all.

10. Did you see this Progression 2010-2011 document, or find something better / more up to date?

http://www.devon.gov.uk/sc-jan1101010a.pdf

http://www.education.gov.uk/complexneeds/modules/Module-2.4-Assessment-monitoring-and-evaluation/D/m08p030d.html is training material for teachers of students with SEN. Any use?

11. Hi ljennings, I am struggling to find the documents you refer to online so it would be amazing of you could email them to me!
    aparfitt2002@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers
    Anne