1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target Setting with decimals instead of + and - grades?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by GodOfBiscuits, Jun 28, 2017.

1. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

Do any schools set targets and track progress using decimal numbers instead of using + and - grades,

So setting an end of year target of 3.7 instead of 3+, for example.

Our school are in the process of implementing a whole new way of tracking progress from september, so everything is up in the air. I'm just wondering if any other schools have tried this approach?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Neither have much meaning.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just wondering if / when subject staff moderate evidence of what constitutes a '3.7 ' for example .... before it even gets to be a target ?

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I remember, from some time ago now, subject leaders moderating work as a standardisation exercise. The disagreement was huge - makes subgrades really stupid' I doubt that things have change, even though individuals may think that they know what a particular grade looks like.

minnie me likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes and I also recall when there was NO standardisation /moderation in my Faculty ( MFL ) - and the days of sub levels - an inexperienced member of staff provided unrealistic targets (which were not questioned ) and then left. Experienced member of the department picked up the group and rightly challenged the previous teacher's judgment . Was told in no uncertain terms school policy was that targets could be not be ' undone ' . Disaster.