1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target setting in literacy and numeracy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma4646, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Can anybody help? We are trying to find a new target toolkit for literacy and numeracy in ks2, we have tried bookmarks and levelled cards before but none of which were a hit with staff or children! Is anyone using a really good, successful target setting toolkit?

2. In our school we do something called "book marking". Basically the children do work in exercise books which the teacher then assesses or "marks".

To spell it out further through grinding teeth: All you have to do is mark the books. Nothing more. Mark the books.

End of.

Don't dream of making a teacher's job harder than it already is.

3. I have a commercial interest here that I must declare, but I hope the TES will not mind me mentioning this APP-based target sheet package to you, as it may be just the sort of thing you are looking for. The criteria were written by teachers.
    http://notasweknowit.co.uk/shop2.htm
    The picture of the target sheets may take a moment or two to load.
    As headteacher, I have used this system to some success in a range of primary schools.

4. We have our own detailed stranded sheets for reading, writing and maths.
    These have been converted into childspeak too and we make a target flip for each sublevel and it is stuck into the front of the children's books. They 'flip it up' so it can be read no matter whereabouts in their book the children are working. Highlight successes and move onto to next sublevel.
    We did not go down the route of APP as best fit did not meet our children's needs and often resulted in overegged assessment.

5. Lol oh how funny you must be brianrandom, however, the school I work at requires children to have targets for literacy and numeracy besides book marking, which is of course why I asked the question... You get the dunce hat duuuuuurrrrrrr!!

6. I have a commercial interest here that I must declare, but I hope the TES will not mind me mentioning this APP-based target sheet package to you, as it may be just the sort of thing you are looking for.  The criteria were written by teachers.

http://notasweknowit.co.uk/shop2.htm

The picture of the target sheets may take a moment or two to load.

As headteacher, I have used this system to some success in a range of primary schools.

Thanks - these look great, I will suggest these to our teaching and learning group

7. I can recommend these for english...http://primarytools.co.uk/pages/appsupport.html, they are cheap and easy enough to use. Might be a route you have already tried though.