1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

target setting in early years

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by llygoden, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi, does anyone else find target setting difficult for early years? We have to display language, maths and PSE targets for all children. I like to make them child friendly and meaningful for the children. However, some of my children are already very independent, friendly and work well in the foundation phase classroom, and helping them find a meaningfull target is not easy. Has anyone compiled a list of ideas or statements which would help?

2. Are you required to have targets for your foundation phase children? It seems to me to be alien to the EYFS ethos. Any targets that exist should be for adults and about supporting children well through provision and interaction. Specific targets, for children, are limiting because they necessarily narrow opportunities and focus. For instance, if you give a child a target to count accurately to 10 this is what you will be looking for and steering the child towards, meanwhile missing all those other learning opportunities in the activities the child gets involved in.
    Are you working in nursery or reception?