1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target maths and maths on target

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Terargram, Aug 4, 2011.

1. These maths books seem to pop up from time to time and I wondered if anyone has them and uses them? Are they any good? Do they work along side the 'maths blocks'? Is the content differentiated? Is there a cd with the books? Are the answers in the book too?
    Thanks for reading. :)

2. These maths books seem to pop up from time to time and I wondered if anyone has them and uses them? Are they any good? Do they work along side the 'maths blocks'? Is the content differentiated? Is there a cd with the books? Are the answers in the book too?
    Thanks for reading. :)

3. Maths on target were written to follow the blocks. They have 3 differentiated sections per page. They have a separate answer book. I had a set bought for my class by my maths co-ordinator and so far I do not like them as they take all thought out of teaching. If you like turning the page every day and not worrying about having to find something to teach then hey presto!

4. Maths on Target is the newer publications. Both have objectives at the top and each page are differentiated 3 ways ( Section A, B and C.) The newer book is organised by block A1, B1, C1 etc. The books are useful have been great to dip in and out of . Not the answer to every lesson as you will find you don't like some activities. Last book I got did not have a CD, not sure if that has changed. RLBxxx

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

They are very useful as revision guides, as they provide a brief explanation of a method-although possibly not the method you use- and lots of differentiated examples. My class love them on the rare occasions that we use workbooks ( either those or Medal Maths!) and they are good for homework as you have different levels on the same topic. I certainly would never use them as a planning tool or text book, and I don't think that's the intention. but we do have the odd day of rehearsing a recently learnt method or topic when layered questions are useful.

6. have used these a couple of times, useful as a revision or assessment guide, you still need to plan tho!!! The children do respond well to them (no idea why??)

7. Appreciate all your responses. Thanks.
    :)

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our Year 5 teachers did this last year....

In year 6 we used them as a resource, saves making any worksheets. And from the olden days when we had unit plans that said things like 'children work on examples of....' they were great for having lots of examples.

But really they are just for those times when you want the class to practise a skill or method...not really any use for inspiring and exciting a love of maths. (Though some of the less well behaved and yet more competitive boys love the 'Here's how you do it. Now sit down, be quiet and get on with 27 examples' kind of lesson occasionally.)

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Exactly! ( although mine are only allowed 5 correct examples at one level before they have to move up to the next) So they do 5, peer mark and if all are correct, move up a level, if not they correct the "wrong" one and do 5 more! Medal maths is similar, those reaching gold standard get a teampoint!

10. Just read my message and want to say sorry for the mixed up reply. This is what happens when I write when I have just woken up! RLBxxx

11. I have used these mainly for revision or applying, especially things like converting measurements or practicing adding etc as these are fairly well differentiated (though I find them quite hard so tend to use a year group lower for my kids) and saves you making lots of questions up. The kids seem to quite like them too.

12. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I really like them to do some skills work but use them once aweek at the most. The rest of the time I make my lessons more practical / tailored to the children im working with.
    I do think they are worth a buy though