1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Target display boards

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smallypauly, Jul 10, 2012.

1. What are people's general thoughts on target display boards in the classroom for literacy and numeracy? Do they impact on pupils progress and motivate children to improve or are they demotivating and time consuming?

2. What are people's general thoughts on target display boards in the classroom for literacy and numeracy? Do they impact on pupils progress and motivate children to improve or are they demotivating and time consuming?

3. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

I've never had a massive display... I usually just have them on the literacy or numeracy display so when I ask on the carpet "whose target is to..." their eyes generally flick over to the display and hands go up (as I do this more and more they don't use it but it makes them feel confident and they love seeing their names on boards :) )

4. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I have a small display on the wall above my desk. A bullseye type target in the middle of the board, and on small pieces of coloured paper (different colours for the subjects) I have the targets the children are working on them. They are a good mix of the targets that I know the children will come up to me working on (from their previous report) as well as the targets that follow on from those. They don't have their own names on the display, but in their english, maths and science books they have their personal target.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My views on them are largely irrelevant. I have to have one up in my classroom and the equivalent targets stuck in books.

Do children learn more since I had them up? Errrr...what do you think?

6. Ah OK. That sounds manageable! I don't like the idea of levels and names next to levels which is what I think we did before. Thanks for your feedback!

7. I think they're largely pointless, but we have to have them displayed!
    Does anyone have any jazzy ideas about how to display them?
    This year I made every child a laminated card with their picture on and then I wrote their reading/writing/numeracy targets on...they looked lovely but were such a pain to keep updating.
    I'd like to move back to the system of having 3 or 4 different targets, and the childrens names on the relevant one. The problem is that doing this for reading, writing and maths takes up a lot of room and I also don't want them to all be the same style! I might just do the reading ones on books, the writing ones on pencils and the maths ones on shapes...but it's a bit dull.