1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tapas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Jul 22, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

Help me out, please?

My French friends are catching the overnight ferry and arriving at about mid-day tomorrow.
    I want to serve an easy-to-eat meal (as he will be hungry but she won't!) and would like to do tapas.
    I can do my normal repertoire easily but am looking for recipes/cooking ideas that I can do without having to go to the supermarket tomorrow for the following:
    • chick peas
    • tinned tuna
    • potatoes
    I have the usual (or even more) range of standard cupboard ingredients.
    I will also be doing
    • roasted peppers
    • chorizo
    • olives stuffed with anchovies
    • broad beans with jamon
    • tortilla
    Thanks
    H
    xx

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Patatas bravas
    Chickpeas stewed with chorizo
    Empanadas with the tinned tuna

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Tortilla cut into wedges, olives, salted nuts,

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Patatas bravas - good idae
    Chickpeas stewed with chorizo - I don't have enough chorizo to do it twice: need another treatment of chickpleas, please, someone!
    Empanadas with the tinned tuna - not sure how to make an empanada! Recipe/method please?
    Thanks for the ideas Nick

Tortilla cut into wedges - doing that already
    olives - already covered
    salted nuts - would necessitate a supermarket trip so cannot (don't have time with the children's extra curricular activities tomorrow!)

More ideas please???

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

In cse you've not seen them, they're a bit like a pasty but with a bread dough. Sometimes made big and cut up, sometimes made tiny. Often seen in Spanish tapas bars. Make a bread dough and season with paprika. Make the filling - a tomatoey, oniony, garlicky sauce, quite thick, with the tinned tuna mixed through. When the dough has risen, knock back and roll out. Shape or cut into small discs, pasty style. Fill, fold and crimp. Egg wash and bake till golden.
    Failing that - tuna croquetas?

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

I ended up doing the following:
    • smoked almonds (had to go to Sainsburys to get wine!!)
    • stuffed olives
    • anchovies
    • tortilla
    • patatas bravas
    • chorizo
    • jamon
    • a chick-pea thing I found in a Jamie Oliver book - almost hummus but not quite
    • albondigas
    • broad beans with bacon in sherry vinegar
    • roasted peppers
    and jolly good it all was!

7. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I am soooo going to try that at the weekend! I've got some sardines in the freezer (along with my herrings, bass and mackerel!)

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

and <u>that</u> is what I love doing, especially when eating food from warmer climes than our own!