1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tap Turning

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by anon8315, Nov 9, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Oh this would drive me insane! I'm not sure really - could your HOD give them a really stern talking-to about it? With firm sanctions for offenders? I can see how it must be difficult to see who the culprit is though.
    Pur chewing gum in the taps so it soaks them when they switch it on? [​IMG]

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ask someone to sit in on your lessons where this happens, purely to watch and see who the offenders are. (Don't tell the class this is why). Then simply rearrange your seating plans to mean those children are well away from the taps and speak to them after the first rearranged lesson. Let them know that you know it was them (and how you know) and that you are seriously unimpressed. Tell them that if they continue to disrupt your lessons in this way and ruin school resources then .............. (Whatever the sanction at your school is.)

Chewing gum idea sounds fun....

3. Cover the tap 'handle' with washable face paint (it's non toxic, actually edible) the culprits won't notice until their books/ faces / workspace is covered in face paint

4. Don't do that. You'll get into trouble.
    The pupils behave like they do because they feel that they can get away with it - the consequequences are insufficient to deter them and if they see that it winds you up, they'll do it all the more. So you need to find a way of deterring the behaviour. Reseating, detentions, phone calls home etc.
    Also, do you move around the room or stay in one place? Just be being more mobile, you may find that problem behaviour is nipped in the bud.
    If the pupils all face the same way (i.e. towards the front), then having set quiet/written work, you could move to the back of the room and supervise from there. They can't see you, they think you can see them and in my experience, are more likely to get on with the work.

5. The threat of moving to a 'proper' classroom could work or just do it anyway. While there explain that they are there because of the messing about. Might be worth a go.

6. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

ANY kid that you catch doing this- move the cheeky little elf right underneath your nose at the BIG TABLE, and make them do some quality chokey under your stren gaze.
    That'll teach 'em!
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.

7. Ha ha. Like the cut of your jib, Tom.

8. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Very kind, especially considering I appear incapable of spelling 'stern'.

9. Oh, I thought you were being hip and down wif da kids shortening 'strenuous' to 'stren'. Pretend you were!

10. I had similar issues with some of my pupils constantly messing with the air conditioning, which is conveniently placed just behind one of the desks, easily accessible by students and difficult for me to see people fiddling with.

At first it was just turning it on with my agreement, then there would be some who wanted it off, and lessons became interrupted with kids turning it up/down/on/off every ten minutes or so. Then one wag thought turning it up to the highest setting until we were all sweltering was funny. That was it. The moment the class left, I had the site engineers disable the air con.
    God did they moan! Especially as its now turned chilly - they miss the extra heating. I told them exactly why I did it and that I and I alone will decide if and when they are mature enough to have it.

The pleasure has been all mine. I just wear a thicker jumper and enjoy enforcing the 'no hoodies/coats/scarves' rule.

11. There may be a stop *** to turn off the lab water. If not, then I agree with the others. Move the blighters away from the taps. If they are squashed & uncomfortable, they only have themselves to blame - they can go back when they have learned not to mess with the taps.
    Standing at the back of the room and /or wandering around while you teach is a good idea too. It changes the dynamics of the lesson, they don't always know where you are, you get to see their books & you may get fewer tap turners.

12. Thanks for all the tips guys! I have had some of the taps isolated and just kept a few which are easy for me to see turned on for practical work. Have explained to the class why I had to do this and handed out detentions for students who still didn't get the message. Things are much better now [​IMG]