1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tantrums and refusal advice please

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Jazziepants, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Jazziepants

Jazziepants New commenter

New commenter
    I'm supporting a child with a language delay whose behaviour is very difficult - stubborn and refuses to have a go if he finds things the slightest bit challenging. He tantrums and lies on the floor. We have some strategies in place (a home school diary with stickers and opportunities for breaks). Other ideas please?

2. KRkazoo

KRkazoo New commenter

How long have you worked with this young person? What you do next will depend on the trust in your relationship.

3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

You don't indicate the age of the child, which can make a difference I think.

I had a similar child in Y1 (no floor tantrums, but language development issues, refusal, stubborn). However, being so young made it easier to tackle as it was evident through their language ("I can't! I can't!") that success was a very rare thing.

So we spent most of the first term giving them very easy tasks, with a lot of adult support, especially when completed so they could have that "yes! Well done!" moment every time.

Now that child is much happier and positive, because they believe in themselves. They now attempt work that is appropriate and can focus on their language development.

As I said, with a younger child, possibly an easier fix because they may not have as much associated baggage. I did have a very similar child to yours in Y2 and that took the best part of a whole year to work through, with a lot of support from SLT. So it may just need time.

KRkazoo likes this.
  4. KRkazoo

KRkazoo New commenter

Absolutely, which is why I asked the question. Nelly is right, giving opportunity to experience praise builds trust and from that point everything is possible. Sometimes we jump in too quickly with the expectation that this child will do what everybody else does, even if there is differentiation.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Jazziepants

He's in year 3 and I've worked with him since September. I job share and he's the same with my colleague. I find the teacher doesn't differentiate his work but he's also challenging when I work one to one with him outside the classroom on work I've tailored for him.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Ne11y

Sounds like a lot of consistency will be needed, which can be a problem in a job share, if only because two different teachers means two different people and that can be enough of an issue.

As he has language issues, have you tried a lot of visual materials with him? Visual timetables, now and next cards, emotion metres (the latter can be useful to help identify trigger points)?

Also, I find that as children move through school the physical props can be taken away (or just all given to KS1 and KS2 have to go begging). Have you got a sufficient bank of those for support?

I found talking tins were great for some of my children. We could discuss ideas, they could mumble a sentence, we could work on it, record it and then they had their own voice recorded, which they could listen to as many times as they needed to help them write. It meant they could work independently for a few minutes and feel in control of their work.

Tbh you've probably tried these and more, so sorry if I sound patronising.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. felterskelter

felterskelter New commenter

Thanks for the advice so far. I haven't heard of talking tins/emotion metres so will look into that Ne11y. Is there a good place to start please? I agree that it's important to reduce expectations/adjust the curriculum for him and have spoken to the classteacher about this. It looks like the onus is on me to differentiate the work but other teachers have done this themselves as it's clearly beneficial for other children too.

8. Ne11y

The resource website that shines like a star has a lot of things like emotion metres and visual timetable stuff you can use. Even "now and next" boards. Have a good look around, especially in EAL and SEN materials.

If you look around for "talking tins" you'll find them. There is a new version called a "point recordable button" but it's only 10 seconds (talking tins record 20).

Glad I could offer some ideas!

NotAPowerRanger and pepper5 like this.
  9. Jazziepants

Brilliant, thanks.