1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tanker drivers and 45K

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by heldon, Mar 29, 2012.

1. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

are tanker drivers really paid 45K ,if they are then I am in the wrong job
    maybe there is more to this one than meets the eye?

2. I think that includes a lot of overtime and long shifts (breaks you have to take 300 miles from home aren't much fun).

3. Well said.

4. A lot of it is danger money, I would think. Driving around 30,000-odd litres of highly flammable fuel wouldn't be my idea of fun! Particularly with my luck (have been driven into twice in the last 2 years...)

5. Well said too! (sympathise with the traffic accidents though)

6. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

You might find a lot of the dispute is about safety concerns. Not that the press will report that.

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Absolutely cochrane, some of the narrow and wind-ey roads in my part of the country must be a nightmare for these truck drivers - if they earn £45k that's not too much in my opinion. We fortunatley don't hear of many fuel truck accidents so the drivers obviously take care and respect what they do.

8. Yup, definitely not a job I would want at all. Anti-social hours, dangerous loads, roads and fuel companies trying to cut costs by asking drivers to work for longer and drive faster. I don't begrudge them their £45k

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think the £45k thing is a fallacy, apparently it's about £36k on average . . . . . .good on them for putting on a fight for their H & S.

10. I'd not swap jobs - and I'm saying that after a long afternoon of S4s who don't give a toss about work now that their folio is done and couldn't wait for the start of the holidays!

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is everyone on holiday now?
    Your S4 comments rung soooooooooooo true!

12. cobalt54

cobalt54 New commenter

The money looks good, but the reality is less so.
    Many of the drivers have lost their contractual rights, and are now merely hired hands. They can be sacked without a moments notice.
    Sounds a bit like Education Scotland.

13. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

Yes and it seems they have to stay in sight of their load at all times - so not much of a break.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17525461
    Their jobs seem much less secure as well since deliveries have been contracted out and now that the winning of contracts seems to be starting to depend more on price than expertise, it should be a huge concern for all of us not just the tanker drivers.